Thread: How to remove Generic20.AWOL virus

How to remove Generic20.AWOL virus

I looks like that there are many awol infections. I am using Avg antivirus and in that I found this virus which still lies in the quarantine. I hope that can be the same place where it will not spread. But I am not able to figure out why avg does not eliminate the threat completely. I found on certain forums on the web that this is a kind of a Trojan virus. I am using free edition of AVG and surely this is not enough for such threat. I work on a network where viruses are common as it is common for regular visitors. The virus usually appears from there pc and even after configuring firewall the system does not remains completely protected. So I am now in trouble and need help to get rid of this nasty virus. I am also not planing to go for any kind of commercial antivirus upgrade as I do not need it. I regular update my antivirus which keeps me somewhat protected. I want to know that does this virus spreads and is Avg enough for this. Thanks.

Re: How to remove Generic20.AWOL virus

Keep your antivirus upto date. This will do the work. Updated antivirus are more secure and are more capable of identifying hidden threats. AVG too has a commercial version of antivirus. You can buy that if you want.

It is a Trojan virus and till it is quarantined you do not need to worry about the infection. I will recommend you to get a more secure antivirus like the paid version as the free edition might not be having much features. Also the antivirus has a good firewall which can block unwanted access to your system. There are certain precautions that you can carry out to avoid further issues in future. For example not opening any email attachment without scanning. You can not mentioned which version of AVG you are using. If it is a internet security suite then there is nothing to worry much. It scans your incoming and outgoing messages. Second thing, avoid using passwords or banking sites when you are working on that network. As you mentioned you are already on a common network so if there are issues of key logger in your system, it can cause great damage. I will recommend to go for Norton Internet Security 2012. That is more secure.

Keep your firewall on always. The virus you mentioned does not has any appropriate removal instructions. The virus can still be in your system even if you run system restore. Atleast it is quarantined so there is no much threat.