Thread: Avast Pro 6, not suitable for W2K SP4

Avast Pro 6, not suitable for W2K SP4

I've effectively installed avast Pro 6 on two systems running Windows 2000 SP4. If I start over either of the systems, avast does not begin correctly (the system tray symbol has the red "X" on top of it).The Windows event log speaks:"The avast Antivirus check was unsuccessful to begin due to the following fault: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not apply the check."This is not occurring on any additional computer on which I've installed avast, but the other systems run WinXP, Vista or 7.Please assist - version 6, according to the avast website, is compatible with W2K SP4.

Re: Avast Pro 6, not suitable for W2K SP4

I installed the rollup on my W2K systems. After doing this I Rebooted my pc. Started Downloading a new copy of avast 6, uninstalled the previous old copy, rebooted, installed the copy I'd just downloaded.but no effect. I did notice that the PC had one Windows update that required to be downloaded, thus I downloaded and installed it, and rebooted. It was one and the same issue.

It's operating fine on my Win2k SP4.I installed 6.0.1289 AIS (similar to the Free but with additional components). Please go after these steps to locate out what's incorrect with your OS:
    the first hing is to perform this Download it and then unload public.avast.com/~kurtin/depends.zip . after exlporing these things try Opening some avast DLL/EXE files the folder location would be like (\Program Files\AVAST Software\avast folder): aavm4h.dll/aswData.dll/ashBase.dll and then the .exe and if you get red caution on the right panel, please send me a screenshot otherwise text output .The screenshot of model status generally taken from my Win2k SP4 is attached.

The implantation problem seems to be occurred in most of the users system. I gave many replies and finally I can say that this can be solved. Overwhelming, thanks! I'll do it quickly. The user and I do not believe this an urgent situation, as he can just double-click on the system tray icon, and then he can click "FIX IT" and every service will definitely begin. The difficulty is just that they are not initializing at boot time.

I think this is the message which provokes.avastsvc.exe: the very primary dependency, APPHELP.DLL, is absent."Error opening file. The system can’t trace the file specified. (2)"similar problem with aavm4h.dll and a number of extra DLL files. In every case, APPHELP.DLL is the lone library that is absent. So: shot in the dark here, but is it possible that the avast! installer detected the presence of IE 6, and as a result, automatically assumed that APPHELP.DLL existed, and installed the wrong binaries?
    I have another Win2k computer that is running avast! With no issues - but I don't have access to it at the moment, and can't check which version of IE it is running.

It is said that the modules for avast designed have a dependence. But some are mistaken by this issue. Don’t know how exactly you are checking the dependencies, but none of avast modules depends on APPHELP.DLL.

I downloaded the ZIP folder mentioned previous in this conversation, extracted and ran depends.exe. Once the program was running, I opened up avastsvc.exe and came across the list of dependencies. And found that APPHELP.DLL was the only one to be on the dependency list, and it was the single one that had an issue. After this I looked at a few DLL's and saw the same thing. What's actually odd is that there is a third computer that I finally was capable to make sure, also running W2K SP4 and IE6, and avast runs well on that computer.

I can give some specific answer for this and provide some basic information about it. The answer to the finding of missing APPHELP.DLL. Could be that the APPHELP.DLL is used by Windows XP's application compatibility characteristic. It is the only dll of Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/+.If you observe this word of warning, you should most probably install Internet Explorer 6.0 on your pre- Windows XP computer (Windows 95/98/ME/2000). By installing the Internet Explorer 6.0 will install a fresh SHWAPI.DLL that has a delay-load dependency on APPHELP.DLL. This is usual as SHWAPI.DLL does not look forward to to find APPHELP.DLL on editions of Windows earlier to Windows XP. This warning can be disregarded. You do not require (or want) APPHELP.DLL on Windows 95/98/ME/2000.