Thread: "General Error" while updating AVG Free 2012

"General Error" while updating AVG Free 2012

Hi, I have downloaded AVG Free 2012 antivirus software in my machine and while I was trying to update it yesterday, I have gotten error message with the title “general error”, as I have installed this software for the first time thus I am not sure what could be the problem with it and why error is coming. Thus please let me know what could be the problem so that I can resolve it as soon as possible otherwise It would be better if someone just give solution to resolve this issue. Thanks for any suggestion.

Re: "General Error" while updating AVG Free 2012

see there could be so many problems that can cause such problem with antivirus but still after seeing the error title it seems that it could be because of some general reason only. Are you sure that the internet connection that you are using in your machine is working fine rather ensure that it is active, because whenever the updating procedure carries it requires active internet connection, and off course there isn’t any such facility of resuming the downloaded update, thus if you got failure message that means you must have to download the files again In your machine.

can you please send the LOG files regarding the error that you are getting while updating? Because after seeing them it would be better to understand the problem in your machine. I think the file associated with it named as “avgupdm.log”.

It seems that your machine is far much infected with the viruses and that’s why you must be having this problem, and after all as you have mentioned that you have installed the free copy of the software so let me tell you that you might have to buy the software first and then only you’ll be able to get the update to the software. Because I have seen too many problem with this free version and that’s why I have just quit using this antivirus rather right now I am using NIS for my machine and which is quite good!

If you don’t wanted to bother more I would like to recommend you the same thing as you should try to make use of another antivirus and no doubt you can use whichever you want, rather I’d say according to your convenience.

that’s fine but will you please tell me how do I gather LOG file in my machine, I am completely unaware about this process.

Yeah I was also having the same kind of error and after doing the below mentioned steps everything was perfectly done, and I have got the update as well, thus I request you to carry below mentioned steps.

• Please open the settings of "Update Manager" component:

• Open the AVG User Interface (for example by clicking on the AVG icon
      on your desktop).

• Choose "Advanced settings" from the "Tools" menu.

• choose the "Update" item.

• choose the "Manage" tab and click on the "Delete temporary update
      files" button.

• Update AVG Program

to get the Log file for your machine you can simply follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Navigate to the AVG log folder:

2. If you are using Windows XP then navigate to
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG<number>\
      And for Windows Vista/7 navigate to
      C:\ProgramData\AVG<number>\

3. 3. Compress the Log folder and upload it to some online storage service.

4. 4. And you can Provide the Link over here.

Quite more simpler as I was also having the same problem but after doing some changes I got the update, and with all the machine who were having this problem.

While you updating the software you will see 2 boxes ticked ( primary server ) and (secondary server ) so at that time you need to Un-Tick the primary box then apply and OK. I have founded the solution working with my machine.

If you are still getting with updating the antivirus than I think there could be some problem with the antivirus only that you have installed thus just Uninstall it and download it and reinstall it. And I think as you are using the free version and that’s why you must be having this problem in your machine, why don’t you get the full version?