Thread: NETGEAR WNCE2001 is not getting proper range

NETGEAR WNCE2001 is not getting proper range

I have recently bought a WNCE2001 Universal Adapter for my XBOX360 and the problem I am facing is that sometimes my laptop is able to get a good signal when I am near the WNCE2001 but sometimes I have noticed that the signal just falls down even though I am just next to the router. I don’t know why so I wanted to know that is it necessary that the range on the WNCE2001 should match my laptop internal card which is Intel 4965A/B/G .I have tried doing a firmware update but it does not seems to have helped. I don’t have any problem with the adapter but then I think that it is not giving me the proper range. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about the same? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: NETGEAR WNCE2001 is not getting proper range

I was previously having the WNCE2001 and I had connected it to the Motorola SBG6580 Cable modem router and as far as I remember it use to give me a range of 250Tx/100Rx but I was not able to change the DNS and so I just returned the router and then I bought the Netgear WNDR3700 and now I have experienced that I am getting a range of Netgear WNDR3700.I will suggest you to first try a different channel for the 2.4 Ghz with the WNCE2001.I will also suggest you to download Vistumbler and then install it on your laptop which will give you a list of wireless routers and channels and then try to find out a channel column which is least used and then switch your router to the same channel you can also try it to set with a static IP and just check if it is making any difference. Hope that helps.

Before I suggest you anything I will ask you to answer the following question so I can understand your problem in detail:
    • What is the type of security you have been using.
    • The distance of the WNCE2001 from your router.
    • The channel that your are currently using for your router.
    • Model no of your router.
    • No of wireless computer in your network.

I have been facing the same problem with the WNCE2001 and I am using a Linksys WRT160N and I remember that the WNCE2001 was supposed to give a range of 300 Mbps. I have found that the my WLAN usually shows up RED and later when I decreased the distance between the WNCE2001 and the WRT160N and made it 2 ft and then I was able to get a Tx of 130 Mbps. I have already tried to update the firmware and I have by now switched to 5 different channels as well but then I had the same result. I am currently using the .26NA version but then I am having the same problem. Any further help will be appreciated.