Thread: How to set up Mikrotik wireless router as VPN Server

How to set up Mikrotik wireless router as VPN Server

Yesterday I have configured new network Mikrotik Wireless Router. Currently I require knowing how to configuring it like a VPN Server. If somebody can assist me, it is type of urgent, and I would understand it extremely much.

Re: How to set up Mikrotik wireless router as VPN Server

The solutions that you can take are many and range from simple server equipped with open source software, expensive appliances in HA redundancy: the choice depends on the costs, integration with existing infrastructure, the bandwidth required by the workload and criticality of the link, just to name a few factors that influence the choice to trust the system.

Your current routers do probably not support VPN. It must therefore be replaced by special routers with the ability to accept and create VPN connections. We suggest the model Linksys WRV54G. You will find this model in most computer stores (Micro Bytes , usually offers good prices). The first step is to connect the routers and make them work normally. Make sure to update Routers with latest firmware.

Normally it's possible, you need a router "VPN Passthrough" But it is especially problematic NAT. But it is often galley; I have yet to try these days with a PPTP VPN, the simplest theory, and connected to an ADSL modem, no problem, and not the router. Yet I open the necessary ports, NAT translations is good, but I did not happen (for now, I do not give up the case). Theoretically there is a NAT-T (NAT Traversal) which should allow the VPN through NAT, but it is not obvious.

The configuration does not make sense. With the same devices, and then with the same budget (1 + 1 add-in network hub), you can create a configuration identical to that of my scheme in which all PC + interface Server's private network, are connected to the Hub , while only the public interface of the server is connected directly to the router. For clients not change anything or continue to browse the Internet and use e-mail.

On the client side you only need to change the default gateway by entering the IP address of the Private Server.

On the server side the only difference that you make with respect to the procedure outlined in the tutorial is to select the option "Access VPN and NAT" instead of "Remote Access".