Thread: Need help regarding network shares with Boxee Box Media Steamer

Need help regarding network shares with Boxee Box Media Steamer

I have got a Boxee Box Media Steamer yesterday and I just wanted some help in dealing with the network shares with Boxee Box Media Steamer. I wanted to know how to scan the local network and how to trouble shoot when our file is on the Mac OSX/ Linux/ Windows Vista / Windows 7/ Windows XP machine. Is there anyone who has an idea about all this? Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Need help regarding network shares with Boxee Box Media Steamer

In order to scan the local network when you switch on the Boxee you will be asked to configure your network setup and after you are done with it then it will start the scanning process.It basically scans for the any computer and network attached storage devices which supports the SMB protocol and it also searches for UPnP/DLNA devices which act as a media server.I will like to inform you that the SMB supports Windows, MacOS, Linux and all the other network attached storage devices as well.It has been one of the best protocol for accessing the files over a network.

As far as I know the Boxee is capable of adding the SMB servers as a "content source" which basically helps us to index, identify as well as categorize the movies, pictures, and music. It plays a very important role in locating SMB servers. It helps to use the broadcast search queries with the help of NetBIOS method. It also helps in using the multicast search queries with the help of Web Services methods and even helps to send a message directly to the entire possible node on your home network.It helps to minimize the impact of misconfigured networks and differences between the different desktop operating system as well.

In order to troubleshoot when you are not able to locate your network share. You can check if the boxee box is on the same network or not and if you are not able to find your share in the files as well in the network section then there might be possibilities that the manually added server is not on the local subnet and later when you try to add a server on the local subnet manually then the Boxee will verify it using similar feature in order to discover it and then show it in the file browser as well. Hope that was helpful.

If you are having the file share on the Mac OSX then you will have to make sure that the shares are exposed through the SMB. What else you have to do is check the system preferences, sharing, file sharing are enabled and you have should also check the 'Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)'.You also need to make sure that you can access the shares using the guest id and any other account as well.

For Linux machine you have to get a netbios name set for the machine and you also have to set the share as browsable.You also have to keep in mind that the nmbd is very well running on your server otherwise you will have to use the ip address and then add the shares manually. You can also try to give access to other machine as well in order to access the shares. You will have to make sure that the shares are guest accessible and other user account as well which can enter your boxee box. Also make sure that you have the required file permissions as well as read permissions for the guest user as well.

In case the file shares are on Windows Vista /Windows 7 .You have to ensure the following things:
    • The network interface is marked as 'home”
    • You have the required file permissions and the read permission for guest.
    • File sharing is enabled in your network settings
    • Make a test by browsing your network by using the explorer.
    • Security on the folders is set to ‘everyone’ in order to access it.

If you are having file share on xp then you need to have a firewall exception or firewall disabled. Remember you should have a local machine user account if in case your machine is part of a Windows domain. You will also have to make sure with the IT administrator that the NetBIOS and SMB are accessible by non-domain devices as well if in case your network is part of a domain configured with IPSec but these cases are very rare. If you are getting prompts for the credentials or if you are not able to access your windows share then there are possibilities that you might have removed the windows live essentials and you won’t be able to get it work as these are the advanced settings.

In such cases you What you have to do is just go to start and then click on run and then type 'Secpol.msc' and then go to 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options' > 'Network access and then change it from 'enabled' to 'disabled' and then in order to make the registry changes go to the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa' and then double click on the 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and then just change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1' and then double click on the 'NoLmHash' and then change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'.After you do all this just go to the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Lanman Server\Parameters' and then double click on the 'restrictnullsessaccess' and then change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0' and then reboot your pc and then try to locate the network shares on WDTV Live.

I am having the same problem following are the details of my connection:
    • system 1: Windows XP Pro x32
    • system 2: Windows Vista Home
    • wireless router: Linksys WRT160N

By now I have tried all the possible solutions that I could have but I have not yet been able to solve it out my workgroup name is "W0".Any further help will be appreciated.