Thread: How to disable addtional network connection in Windows 7

How to disable addtional network connection in Windows 7

I am facing an issue in Windows 7 laptop. At every reboot my system ask me for an network connection. I do the most recommended settings. I am not so good in this. But this has become now annoying. This is what I happened. First I was using an usb modem. It has an automated dialer installation program which configure everything. There an network icon on the system tray. Then I stopped using that and connected the system to an lan network. It created another icon in the system tray. How that appear I do not know. On reboot the system ask me to choose the network type. I am not aware about the window but it has listing of three network types, some home or public. I clicked on anything and the Internet started working. But again the same issue on reboot and sometime Internet does not work at all. I just want on single connection that can connect me to my broadband. I called the customer support ten times, but they do not respond on the same properly. Need help to fix the issue out.

I am using Windows 7 and an local broadband connection of 512mbps.

Re: How to disable addtional network connection in Windows 7

There are multiple network configured on your system. So your system does not get the default one. There is an way. Go in Control Panel and search for Internet Option. Now click on Connection and in that you have two options. The first one is Setup. This is to run a new connection. Second is the box where you can see your current network connection. In that see which network connect you do not want. You can either delete it or leave it for future. You just need to click on the right Internet connection and configure options below that. You can see three check boxes. Choose Always dial my default connection and next to that there is a button Set Default. Click on that. Restart your system and then then run any web browser. If there is no dialer the net will start automatically. Or else the dialup box will pop up on the screen for the same.

Click on connect or provide your user login information to run the connection.

You can also manual delete those connection from Start > Network Connection. Just right click Delete / Disable. That is your choice. You can remove them all and then recreate an new connection. This will remove the issues.

There is an hotfix for this issue. I think this can help. Download the file from below link. You can see an option on top Hotfix Download Available (View and request hotfix download). Click on this link and agree the agreement. Download and run it.

Hotfix to fix multiple network issue

If there is any kind of 3rd party tool which manages your internet connection, then best is to remove it. For just instance you can check it Add Remove in Control Panel. Remove the same and then check back. If there is nothing like that this is an clear issue of misconfiguration. Go to network places and delete all old connections. Reboot and check back.

There is an solution for this for Windows 7. But the same can also help those who are working on Windows XP. Go in Network Sharing Center and look for Multiple Network icon. Click on the same. There is link on the screen called as Customize. Click on the same. The link can be directly found under the network connection listed. When you click on it you can see an Set Network Location Windows. Now this is just an reference for you which will be needed further. Go back on the main page and click on Manage Network connection. Here choose your network adapter. Disable those devices which are not in use. You can then follow the next to setup the default network you will use.

Multiple network are created automatically by Windows when you use more than one type of network connection. Many time when you run a web browser the dialer pop ups for settings up connection. In the first column there is an drop down list from where you can choose the default network connection.

In Windows 7 there is settings under Advance Sharing Settings. You have to just select on Turn off Network Discovery. By this you disallow Windows to search for other network. Just set the current as default reboot and check back.

I was facing an issue of intermittent connectivity on Windows Vista. I have 2 desktop system connected on the same network. The issue was same where you are prompt to choose the Network type on reboot. I did ipconfig and dns release command many times to fix this stuff. But nothing happened. Some time I just get a message on the screen saying there is no or limited connectivity. I have a high speed internet connection. But sometime it luckily works when I reboot it many times. That is really not going to solve the issue. I had a long discussion with my isp customer support. Luckily I got solution for this. He told me to remove the Public Network first. And then re-enable the Home Network. I am using Windows 7 here. I found two networks in the same. I deleted the one and reconfigured the settings. You can just right click on the network icon and choose Repair or Diagnose. It will scan and set the most appropriate settings for your system. Some time just ignoring that screen also does the work.