Thread: How to Change Static Ip Address ?

How to Change Static Ip Address ?

Hello, Everybody I Would Like to Know How Can we change the Default IP Address That We Are assigned By our Isp , Actually i Want To Change the My Ip or better Would Like To Hide my Ip Address Due to Security Reason , I Read Somewhere that You are Prone to Hackers if You Have a same ip address for a long time and Browse unsafely , i Do Generally Visit some crack sites that why i Want to change or Hide my ip Address, So Guys please Help me Solve this thanks in Advance

Re: How to Change Static Ip Address ?

The first thing to realize is that the static IP address should probably be assigned to the router. That will require configuring the router, much like we configured your server above. Exactly how will vary from router to router, but the principals are the same: you'll configure the router to not get an IP address dynamically, but instead you'll enter the IP, gateway, subnet, and possibly DNS information by hand, using whatever approach your router uses for configuration.The "trick", if you want to call it that, is telling the router to pass on requests it receives from the internet to your server. It's typically referred to as port-forwarding. Once again, depending on how your router is configured, the general idea is that you configure it to accept requests on certain "ports" and direct them to certain computers on your LAN.The port part is fairly easy. If you want to set up a web server, then you'll know that port 80, where http requests are handled, is the port you want to forward. But to where?Much like your direct connection to the internet, you'll need to assign your server a static IP address within your local network, so that the router knows what machine to forward the requests to. Typically a router will tell you, or let you configure, the range of IP addresses it will assign from dynamically, so you'll simply want to choose an IP address outside of that range. For example my router at home is configured to assign dynamic IPs starting at 192.168.1.100 and up. So I've elected to assign a static IP on my local area network of 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.1 is the address of the router on the local network). So the rest is simply a variation on what I've already covered: configure that server with the static IP you've chosen, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should do, the default gateway should be the router (192.168.1.1 in my case), and quite probably the router should also be your DNS. If not, use the DNS settings that your ISP assigned you.Now configure the router to forward port 80 traffic to the static IP address you chose, and ... there you are. Your web server, behind a router, should be visible from the internet.

Hello , I also have the same problem but from looking around it says to contact your isp and ask them to change it or ask for a dynamic ip address they may charge additional fees i dont know yet but i will be going to try it

Each computer in a network has its own internal IP address. That IP address may be static, which means that it never changes. Or, as is likely if you share an Internet connection with other computers, the internal IP address may be assigned dynamically and may change from time to time.

Note: in a network configuration, the internal IP is not the same as the IP assigned by your ISP. The IP assigned by your ISP can be either static or dynamic.

When you are opening ports to allow incoming connections to your computer, your computer must be assigned a static internal IP address, to ensure that the incoming connections always go to the correct computer.

Assign the IP address
    To set a static IP address:
    1. Open Windows Start menu.
    2. Open Control Panel.
    3. Classic view: Open Network Connections
      Category view: Select Network and Internet Connections, and then Network Connections.
    4. Double-click on your active LAN or Internet connection.
    5. Click Properties.
      This opens the Local Area Connections Properties window.
    6. In the General tab, highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item, and click Properties.
      This opens the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
    7. In the General tab, click Use the following IP address, and enter:
      • IP address. The static IP address you want to assign to this computer.
      • Subnet mask. Subnet mask used by your router.
      • Default gateway. IP address of your router's default gateway.
    8. In Use the following DNS server addresses, enter all the IP addressses for the DNS servers your router uses.
    9. Click OK.
      Then:
    10. Click OK to close each window.
    11. Restart your computer.
    12. Then, check your IP address again, to make sure that the changes were applied.

To start off, you need a direct connection to your modem and computer. If you have a router, disconnect it and directly hook up your modem to your computer.

1. Open up the command prompt by pressing Start->Run and typing in cmd

2. In the command prompt, type “Ipconfig/all”. This will tell you your current IP Address. After, type “ipconfig/release”. Keep the command prompt open for easy access.

3. Go to “Network Connections” (accessible through the control panel). Right click “Local Area Connection” and click “Properties”

4. With “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) selected, click the “Properties” button.

5. A new window will open. Under the “General” tab, select “Use the Following IP address”. Under “Ip Address”, put “10.0.0.1″. Press the “Tab” key on your keyboard.

6. Press Ok on both open windows.

7. Repeat steps 3-4. Under the “General” tab, press the radio button “Automatically Assign Me an Ip Address”. Press ok on both windows.
    8. Go back to the command prompt and type in “Ipconfig/all”. You’ll now notice you have a new IP address.

tfewster Guest

ohmy Re: How to Change Static Ip Address ?

you do not need to worry to much. I would suggest that you have a secure firewall and secure passwords and having a static ip is fine. In fact a static ip allows you much more flexibility in running your network even if it is small. If you put the proper security in place you can even access your network remotely or run your own email server.

tarunsinghseo Guest

Hello All,

I am really sorry i can't understand the things you have done. I am unable to change the IP Please help my out to change the IP. Otherwise I will lose some impotent work. Help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee................

I would like to suggest you the following steps for Windows Operating System.
    • Get one more Static IP address from Internet service provider. (if you have purchased a block of Static IP addresses then you don’t do this)
    • Now go to the control panel and under that make click on the Network and Internet setting. Now on the Network and Internet make double click on the Manage Network Settings.
    • Now here make Right Click on the sign that signify your Internet connection and after that choose Properties.
    • Now on the properties go to the TCP/IP and then select the Properties.
    • Make sure that the selection is chosen for "Use the following IP address." If it is not, then we need to do pick that option to turn on the field.
    • Remove the existing Static IP address by tabbing to the end and after that hitting Backspace on your keyboard.
    • Now here enter the new static IP address and if you changed this and after that you need to change the subnet mask and Gateway address.
    • Now once you done and after that hit the ok button and then go through you issue.

Hi all,

I have been reading about changing my IP address.

I am on BT Homehub, and I am wireless on my laptop.

My mum also is wireless on her laptop and on her business laptop.

BT Homehub have an IP address that does not change I if I go 'cmd' then 'ipconfig/renew' etc.

I would like to know, how do I change my IP address? Do I have to ring them and ask? What will this mean for the other computers that use the same internet, will it cause any problems?

Also, the page I can no longer get onto said I was barred when I used my laptop but my neighbour's wireless network - so does this mean that it is my actual laptop that is blocked, or my BT Homehub? I read somewhere that when you are wireless there are in effect 2 IPs or something weird, and I don't get how I was barred when using my neighbours internet.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi Raz192,

If you want to change the ip address then you need to got to the web interface, then go to > Advance and log in as admin (password-admin) then go to > Home Network and > Interfaces and then > LocalNetwork and click on > Configure you can then change or add a new IP address and change the DHCP address lists. However, I think that if you are having static ip address then you cannot change it and if you will do then you wont get internet.

globalmba Guest

You also have to put the subnet mask we previously found in the subnet mask section. The default gateway should go into the Default gateway box. Enter the dns servers we prevoiusly found into the two DNS Server boxes. Click okay all the way out of this menu.

Ok thanks everyone,

That was already too technical for me. I don't know where to get those numbers from and that kind of thing but more importantly I absolutely cannot afford to risk buggering up the internet at home, mum runs her business from it.

Thank you for the help anyhow... I had hoped there would be a simpler solution!

Raz