Thread: How to use Dhcploc on Windows Server 2003

How to use Dhcploc on Windows Server 2003

I am handling a very vast network structure with innumerable networking devices involved which are widely spread across the country. Many a times I just forget where is a particular DHCP server located and other such related information. So I decided to get some utility which will keep track of all this activity and remind me whenever I wanted. After a long discussion with some of the networking experts some one pointed me to use Dhcploc utility. But he was not able to explain me how to use it. So I am here to know how to use Dhcploc utility on my Windows Server 2003?

Re: How to use Dhcploc on Windows Server 2003

Dhcploc utility is included in the Windows Support Tools on your Windows CD.

Syntax:

Code:
    dhcploc [/p] [/a:"AlertNameList"] [/i:AlertInterval] ComputerIPAddress [ValidDHCPServerList]
    Parameters:

/p: Suppresses display of detected packets from any of the authorized DHCP servers specified in ValidDHCPServerList.

/a:"AlertNameList": Sends alert messages to the names in AlertNameList if any unauthorized DHCP servers are found.

/i:AlertInterval: Specifies the alert frequency in seconds.

ComputerIPAddress: Specifies the IP address of the computer from which you are running DHCPLoc. If the computer has multiple adapters, you must specify the IP address of the adapter that is connected to the subnet you want to test.

ValidDHCPServerList: Specifies the IP addresses of any number of authorized DHCP servers. The tool does not send alerts when it detects packets from the servers in this list; however, it displays those packets unless you use the /p parameter.

This utility displays the active DHCP servers on the subnet. If you are getting any unauthorized DHCP servers, then it alerts you with some messages. You can even see the packets from DHCP servers; which is a choice whether you want to see the packets from all DHCP servers or only from unauthorized servers.

Dhcploc.exe: DHCP Server Locator Utility

This command-line tool displays the DHCP servers active on the subnet. If it detects any unauthorized DHCP servers, it beeps and sends out alert messages. It also displays packets that it detects from DHCP servers; you can specify whether to display packets from all DHCP servers or only those from unauthorized servers.

You can also use this tool to determine which DHCP servers are available to a DHCP client and to detect unauthorized DHCP servers on a subnet.

System Requirements

The following are the system requirements for DHCPLoc:

* Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003

angry Re: How to use Dhcploc on Windows Server 2003

Hmm, I'm having this bad_address garbage come up on a 2k3 box, and I can't seem to figure out what is going on -- as far as I know, everything was fine, and all of a sudden, kaboom. It also doesn't seem to matter which clients are, or are not connected, unless of course NO clients are connected.

but even with 1, it doesn't get a dhcp lease.

Suggestions / logs needed?