Thread: Toshiba Satellite A30: modem not working

Toshiba Satellite A30: modem not working

So, here I got one more issue with the Toshiba Satellite A30. I have installed the Windows XP SP3 in that and problem is that the built in modem is not working anymore. Actually whenever I click on the 'diagnostic' and 'ask modem' then it shows me one a message that says it's impossible to open the door (port) which the modem is connected to. I have never faced the issues like this before and so I don’t have any idea that why this is happening to me and how this problem can be resolved. Is there anyone who is having the same ‘problem with this or know the solution. If yes then please post your suggestion over here.

Re: Toshiba Satellite A30: modem not working

The first thing that you will have to verify about this is that you are having correct driver installed in your computer and it is from the Toshiba support site. Corrupted or improper installation of the driver is one of the reasons for this problem and reinstalling that might fix the issue for you.

You can try to change the modem com port to some other number and see if you are getting the same problem or not. Other than this, just check for all the connections and make sure that they are properly connected. Do you install some other software in your computer recently? If yes then that can be the culprit for that. So simply uninstall that from your computer and then check for the same. These are the most basic things that you can do with that and I wish it will be helpful for you.

I think that you will have to reinstall the modem driver and to do that, just follow the steps given below.
    1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F8 key when you see the blue HP screen. Press the button twice a second until a menu appears black and white.
    2. Press the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW until you select Safe Mode and press Enter.
    3. Press Enter if you see a dialog for selecting the operating system.
    4. When the Windows logon screen, click Administrator and enter the password, if required. Click Yes in the Desktop window appears to activate the safe mode.
    5. Windows starts in Safe Mode and this mode will be displayed in all four corners of the screen. The appearance of the screen will be different because of the reduced number of colors and lower resolution. This change is perfectly normal.
    6. Click Start, click the right mouse button on My Computer and click Properties.
    7. Click the Hardware tab, then click the Device Manager button.
    8. Click the plus sign (+) next to Modem, then click the name of the modem in the list displayed.
    9. Click Action in the menu bar, click Uninstall, and then click OK.
    10. After this install the driver again.

Reinstalling the driver is good idea but after doing the reinstallation, it is good to update the drivers. Below are the steps for that.
    1. After reinstallation, modem is ready for use. Do not restart the computer or other software programs, except those indicated in the following steps.
    2. Connect to the Internet.
    3. Once connected, click Start, All Programs, then Windows Update option (on top of the list).
    4. You will see the Windows Update Web page. If you see a dialog asking if you want to install a Windows Update tool, click Yes.
    5. Click on Pick Updates to Install (Product Updates), and then click Driver Updates (device drivers) on the left side of the window.
    6. Click the Add button (Add) next to the modem driver.
    7. Click to Review and install the updates.
    8. After this a page appears Total Selected Updates (software selected). Critical updates and update the drivers previously selected are automatically added to this Web page may need to click on the Remove button next to all updates except the modem driver. Otherwise, download all updates may take a long time. The download time is displayed at the top of the page.
    9. Click on the Install Now in the selected web page software.
    10. Click on Yes to accept the license agreement and follow the prompts.
    11. You will see a progress window that provides an indication of download time remaining.
    12. Once installation is complete, close all windows and turn off the computer.
    13. When the laptop is off, unplug the power cord. While the laptop is off, press the power button. This way you can break the power of the motherboard.
    14. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the laptop.

Have you attempted to tuneup your modem yourself?

I would like to tell you that old Satellite A30 was with the Windows XP Home Edition/Professional SP1 and for that reason I think that you will have to install Windows XP SP1 and after that the additional stuffs in the actual installation order.
    Installations order for WXP.
    1. Chipset Driver
    2. Microsoft Updates
    3. Display Driver
    4. Sound Driver
    5. Touch pad Driver
    6. Network Driver
    7. CardBus Driver
    8. Modem Driver
    9. V.92 Modem Driver
    10. Wireless Network Driver
    11. Atheros Client Utility
    12. Infrared Driver
    13. Power Management
    14. E-Key Utility
    15. Easy Button Utility
    16. cPad/Touch pad On-Off Utility
    17. Console
    18. ConfigFree
    19. Skins for Windows Media Player
    20. User`s Manual
    21. DVD Player
    22. Drag'n Drop
    23. Sun Java Runtime Environment
    24. Screensaver
    25. Wallpapers

You can just contact to the manufacturer and see if they can help you in any manner for this case. Other than this, you can also try by reconfiguring the modem.

I also have the same problem but reconfiguring does not helped me. I think that it require to have some advance solution for this. Please somebody post any solution other than already recommended. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.