Thread: A Small NAS for 2.5" HDDs

A Small NAS for 2.5" HDDs

Essentially I need to get 1 or a few 1TB 2.5" drives and connect it via Ethernet (+ preferably PoE) or WiFi or a comparable fix to my home lattice. I could blatantly lean toward this to be as small would be needful. In a perfect world I would like to run ZFS or sth that has in data-verification. Should be accessible by both Windows 7 as well as OS X so I'm conjecturing SMB or sth comparative. Is there anything like that.

Re: A Small NAS for 2.5" HDDs

Synology has announced the DS411slim, a small NAS for 4 hard drives of 2.5 ". It offers the same housing as its predecessor, the DS409slim, but with an updated hardware to increase performance.

It loads so a processor running at 1.6 GHz and 256 of DDR3 memory, respectively, against 1.2 GHz and 128 MB of DDR2 on DS409slim version. The firm announced speeds of 48 MB / s write and 108 MB / s reading, a performance level equivalent to the model DS410, DS211 and DS211 +, and newer than low-cost DS411j (38 and 82 Mb / s) .Otherwise, no big change from the DS409slim, there is therefore:
    • 4-bay hot swap to 2.5”
    • 2 USB 2.0 ports (including 1 front)
    • 1 eSATA port
    • 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
    • 1 60mm fan

LaCie has some truly great looking NAS's. They have a 5-HDDs NAS those backings RAID5 that is in reality exceptionally excellent. Not economical, but it’s give or take in line with different NAS that backing RAID5. In the event that I didn't have a rendernode that could as well twofold as NAS, I'd doubtlessly have gotten the 5-circle NAS and filled it with 2TB circles.

In the world of great things are happening NAS. Today, Thecus is proud to introduce the N0204 miniNAS - the smallest complete NAS device in the world. With a small body of 132x88x63 mm, the N0204 is easy to mistake for a normal external hard drive. But on closer inspection it turns out a powerful two-bay NAS device that can fit in the palm of your hand. The N0204 houses two SATA hard drives 2.5 ", with up to 1TB of storage. The ability to manage this capability by choosing between RAID 0, 1 and JBOD, the N0204 makes it the most robust pocket-sized storage device that ever existed. And because of its bays are hot swappable and auto-rebuild feature, you can swap a hard drive without turning off the unit. The N0204 is equipped with Nsync, Thecus' even to perform remote replication Thecus Backup Utility and a total data protection.

Well my NAS, the QNAP tp-112, has a single hard disk, I made this choice for several reasons, the first to contain the costs of nos itself and I also do not attract a lot of systems raid 1 for the simple fact that, If we put a rush current could blow them up both. So I prefer to have a single HD in nos, is to use a second HDD for backup which will be lit only for this function (the TP-112 has a special function for this). I believe the best way to preserve a HDD is keep it off as much as possible

I was there I made a home NAS (with SAMBA, WebServer, dbserver, Subversion repository). It works well, I guess. The only problem (but I was aware before you buy) is the network card, I had to download and install the driver from realtek site. Nothing earth-shattering though.