Thread: Patch Panel Mounting for lan setup

Patch Panel Mounting for lan setup

I need some suggestions for implementation of patch panel in my office. This is what I have right now. I have a small office which runs on 15 pc setup. Now there are two floors, the systems are setup up. The wires are drawn below to the connection, by drawing a hole on the floor. That really looks very ugly. Though nobody interferes in the below room, but it is important to properly patch those freely lying cables over something. I tried lots of thing to fix them properly but nothing well suited. I cannot even just leave them like that. So will a patch panel work. I can mount that on the above floor and the wires can be properly setup to go below to switch directly. That can make my work easier and configuration of the same also will not be much hefty. Anyhow I can spend more for the patch cables. I had seen a similar setup at my friend office where there are 40 patch cables coming out the second room properly patched to the patch panel and then to the switch. I just need an organize lan setup which can make my job easier and also some extra panel will be helpful.

Re: Patch Panel Mounting for lan setup

Go for an 24 port patch panel. That will be helpful for you. You will have to surely invest a bit more for the cat cable. There are many ready made patch cords as per size you can buy.

There are some dos and don't that you can use to configure the patch panel. So I will better recommend you to read the following. That is surely going to help you out. The procedure that I tried is for the my own setup. I was confused with the setup of 25 pc which were located on different floors. So better to create a network hub for all of them and connecting the hubs directory to the patch panel made by work done. Once of better benefit of patch cables are that there are very less problems of crimping. There are some do's and dont's that I will recommend you to follow.

Do's for Patch Panel Mounting :
    • Design an network diagram for your office. This is very necessary to determine the number of ports needed and the location.
    • Get the exact amount of patch cord length you need. Determine the type of cable.
    • There are certain specification standards that are recommended to follow for better data transfer rate. So you must go for an expert advice.
    • You can try laying down extra wires for the patch panel. Start from the nearest to the lengthiest. Lay down the wires in a proper order number wise. Try to notify each wire with an number or best the PC name. I use 10001A, 10002B,etc. This are pc names also and I had provided a sticker support on the patch cable also. This is easy to identify i case of any faulty.
    • You can place some kind of support on the wall itself for the wire so that they does not comes in your way.

Don'ts for Patch Panel Mounting :
    • Never leave extra wires on the floor. I will recommend you to just keep a little bigger size then what is needed. So that the data transmission cannot be delayed much.
    • Do not twist the wire forcibly on single places with each other. This creats issue to find a faulty connection.

I will advice you to call some local company which can fix up your settings. I will not say to do this on your own, in case of any issue, you will face more problem. Before running such setup, ask for an estimate so that the budget does not exceeds your need. Try to use the old wires and hardware more, so that you do not need to spend unnecessarily on the new one. Any local networking firm, in your area can help you to fix out the issues more easily without much hassle. Decide the place for shelves where you can keep everything together. Under your condition, until both sides are properly wired and does not cause any issue, you can work with the same.

Today in an hardware shop you can easily find any kind of patch panel and patch cord support. The main issue lies is with proper cabling. Or else you can face damage more.

Why don't you go for an switch. Switch is more better than the regular patch panel. You can simply connect your systems to hub and then configure them to the switch. Thats all your maximum job is done in that.

Switch provides you better cabling support, while patch panel clears your cable wiring. With the help of patch panel you can clear up lying wires a more. At start for your need switch can be better. But if your systems number go beyond the limit then you can add a patch panel to the same. That can be then configured to the switch and your work is done. Remember this setup is not an easy job. You cannot jut connect and configure the panels with your own hand. You need experts advice for the same. It is also important to determine the cost before applying such stuff.