Thread: Is msseces.exe-hide-runkey a suspicious file in Microsoft Security Essential?

Is msseces.exe-hide-runkey a suspicious file in Microsoft Security Essential?

hello I am using the Ccleaner on my laptop when I checked into the Ccleaner for the startup programs list I figured out one startup program as "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe"-hide-runkey. In my program files I easily found out the msseces.exe file and it saying that it is an Microsoft Security Essential Application. Can anyone tell me that in this startup listing what is this hide runkey? Is it anything in the registry that a different person might have added or altered? I will be grateful for any help that anyone can give.

Re: Is msseces.exe-hide-runkey a suspicious file in Microsoft Security Essential?

For your information I will tell you that it’s not anything which will harm your system or added by any other person intrudingly. In this regard your system is not had been played prank with so don’t get disturbed by this file in fact it is part of the MS GUI ant the thing you want to know about specifically is the parameter for the file so leave it as it is.

Re: Is msseces.exe-hide-runkey a suspicious file in Microsoft Security Essential?

Thanks for your response. But then I’m not certain what MSE GUI is, but it appears to have to do with updating the Microsoft Security Essentials program. Nonetheless, it's good to be familiar with that it's part of the program and the parameters are right. Can anyone provide me here with some of the information on Microsoft GUI? Suggestion and this regard will be most welcome and will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance

Well that is again not something that is there to haunt you. MS GUI is simply the Microsoft Graphical User Interface. And graphical user Interface is there to interact with the MS user and let them do their work with ease.

If you want to control the Microsoft Essential You should open the GUI and it will allow you to check for the detection history, choose settings etc. also you want know the place where to launch it then you should look for the green fortress icon in your tray.

I want to know here that why it is on the first list after I have deleted Microsoft Security Essential in the startup I had the entry twice and I think that one of them is supposedly false. So what I did was that have deleted the Microsoft Essential to reinstall it But the problem is that I can sees still on the list. Which I think is apprehensive. I have searched many times including the registry and cannot find the Microsoft Essential. Can you provide me with the further detail about this? I thank for your previous replies and looking for further help from you guys.

I am having a Compaq laptop with 1GB RAM, 1.8 GHz CPU and 40 GB HD, running Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Security Essentials and Slimcleaner was showing a Security Essentials sign in the system tray and I am updating the definitions regularly. Now I cannot find any icon, no updates and the boot 'startup' entry is ---mssces.exe -hide -runkey. The 'Security Center' service is is not available now and when I start it by myself it then shows Antivirus disabled and then changes to disabled. Full Malwarebytes, run in safe mode, and I could find any virus there is my MS essential active?

I have a doubt that the start up entry is correct. However the Security Center disabled is problematic. You can go online on the Microsoft website and in the section of Microsoft essential support. And then you should be selecting the link that is saying I think my computer is infected. And then you can choose any of the option there for chat, call or e mail for their support you can also call on their toll free numbers. Check with some new antivirus version that might help you.

Since the Microsoft Security Essential wasn’t running on my laptop I have just uninstalled it and then I ahd Avira Antivirus for myself and then I installed it I am now able to start the Security center So I consider that problem is solved now thanks !

I think you must ignore that. msseces.exe is the gui interface of Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a Microsoft file which works in the background and you cannot count this under a virus threat. It works constantly if you are using Microsoft Security Essentials. If you are still doubtful then you can use a tool called Hijackthis. This tool scans your system and find the list of applications and services running in the background. You can find the exact location of this file which is by default c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials. You had mentioned that in your post already.

Is this application consuming your system resource. If yes then you can get rid of Microsoft Security Essentials and get a stable antivirus program. Net protector is one of it. I found this very easy to use and low on resources. If you disable this and run MSE it will relaunch. And to stay more secure you can try keeping a good internet security suite on the backside also. It works with MSE and does not cause any issue. Use a antivirus along with it. If it is a threat it will be deleted.