Thread: Unable to read file on W7 from XP machine

Unable to read file on W7 from XP machine

I have a MYOB company file on my W7 machine - this is where I use MYOB Premier. I have shared the folder so that my XP machine can see it.

I have MYOB Account Right Plus on my XP machine. I can see the MYOB company file from the XP machine in the share so seeing it is not a problem. However, when I use Account Right Plus to open the MYOB company file on the XP machine and try to open it to process with I get an error which says "Unable to open file; file may be locked or in use or access privileges may be incorrect". I have checked and the file is definitely not in use and can be seen from this XP machine.

We have a workaround whereby we copy the company file from the folder on the W7 machine to a folder on the XP machine and we can successfully open it on XP using MYOB Account Right Plus. So it seems to be a network issue where the XP machine can see but can't use/read the company file on the W7 machine.

As a last resort we could uninstall the software on the W7 machine and install on the XP machine to avoid the problem altogether, but if there is a solution, to keeping things where they are, this would be preferred.

Hope someone can make some suggestions on how to resolve this.

Thanks,

Howie

Re: Unable to read file on W7 from XP machine

From what i have read so far, every pc which uses MYOB Account should have a unique name and every hard disk should have a different name as well. You need to also check that a comma or a period doesnt appear before a drive name. There should be no longer than 27 characters for the name of the shared MYOB Account folder that has the MYOB account company file.

Re: Unable to read file on W7 from XP machine

Hey thanks for the reply. The 2 PC's have unique computer names. There is no comma or period before the drive either and the shared folder is short ("Plus16").

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Howie