Thread: AD alternative for Windows Server

AD alternative for Windows Server

Is it possible to use use a third party software in place of Active Directory. I have a small Windows Server environment. There are around 6 systems on it. I am finding Active Directory bit complicated to understand. What I want is a centralized location to save all files. The user will copy those files and modify them. Then will move the same back in the server. For that I tried using some guide to apply AD settings. But it is not so easy I think. I also want to keep the network secure through permission settings. I cannot find any tool which can help in fixing the issue.

Re: AD alternative for Windows Server

Well I do think there is anything better than Active Directory. It has simple procedure to add a user and also to configure a shared space. You just have to learn the settings. And it is also easy to understand. Just go on web and get a guide to use it.

There are some tools but they are not so effect as compared to Active Directory. Because it has a nice set of option through which you can configure various users easily and offer shared space also. But if you do not want to go in much detail then there is one more way. You can try creating a shared space. You can try adding all the users in a single work-group. And then on that basis you can assign them permission to access folder. In Active Directory it is quiet simple offer single folder to single users. That means others will be won't able to access the same. They will get a permission denied error on their screen. And through File Sharing you can also do that but you have to go with the manual procedure. That means right clicking on each folder and then adding the permission manually.

If you only need to add a shared network place then go with regular windows networking process. Just add a shared folder and ask users to map the same in their system. That would be easiest for all.