Thread: Multiple VPN connection

Multiple VPN connection

Hi,
    I have a problem with connecting three computers in my office to the main branch server through the vpn connection. They all need to be on at the same time during the day.
    Currently, I can connect only one computer at a time. Do I need to change the adsl modem, router to able to achieve what I want? Also, can I just get another vpn router and put it behind the adsl modem? Will that allow multiple vpn sessions?

Please someone help me with my problem.

Thanks

Alex

VPN connection

Here�s a step by step example of connecting two Windows XP computers to each other. First I will explain how to make a connection to another Computer through a Virtual Private Network.
    To Begin, go to Control Panel > Network Connections
    Use the Create a New Connection Wizard. Choose Connect to the network at my workplace and then choose Virtual Private Network.
    When prompted, choose a Company Name (any name can go here, I will use Example), then choose whether you want Windows to dial the initial connection. This is useful if you use Dial-up to access the Internet. Finally enter the IP address of the destination computer. Note: It may display an option asking for permissions on this connection, depending on your requirements; choose either only me or anyone.
    Now there should be a new connection visible under the heading Virtual Private Network in the network connections screen.
    Right click on this connection, and go to properties. I will give a basic rundown on the options provided.
    The General Tab shows the IP Address of the Destination Computer, and allows you to initiate an Internet Connection before connecting the VPN. This is useful if you are not already connected to the Internet or don�t have a permanent connection. There is also an option for displaying an icon in the system tray when connected.
    The Options tab provides standard dial-up options such as Redial Attempts, Time before Redial, Idle Timeouts and visual display of progress. The logon domain is useful if your computer is part of the domain to which you are connecting.
    The Security Tab provides you with options to configure what encryption to use, whether to use encryption at all or whether to use smart card based settings, like Extensible Authentication protocol (EAP). The Typical Settings of Require Secure Password and Require Data Encryption are generally ok to use.
    The Networking tab allows you to choose between the different Tunnelling Protocols, Note that most people will only have three options, Automatic, PPTP, L2TP. Automatic should work if either protocols are used, but if you know what protocol you would like to use for your VPN, then it is preferable to select it from the options provided. The other options are for the protocols that you are tunnelling over the Internet. These will depend on your specific Network Settings.
    The Advanced Tab allows you to enable the Internet Connection Firewall, and if you would like, to set up Internet Connection Sharing. The Firewall should reconfigure itself for your VPN automatically.
    Ok, now that you can set up a connection, how do you setup a Windows XP computer to receive a connection? To do this, we need to go to our Destination Computer.
    Go to Control Panel > Network Connections. Use the New Connection Wizard. Choose Set up an Advanced Connection, then Choose Accept Incoming Connections, You don�t need to select any devices, just hit Next. Now select Allow Virtual Private Connections, choose the users allowed to connect, and finally the Internet Protocols Required.
    You should now have another connection called Incoming Connections, under the Heading Incoming.
    There aren�t a great deal of options for an incoming VPN connection, the Networking Tab is probably of most interest, such things as automatically assigning IP address�s, etc could make a connection unusable. As these differ from network to network, I can�t go into advanced configuration, however, if you have no advanced network at either end, and both computers are connected to the internet, the default settings should allow for a working connection.
    Also note there are no options at the receiving end for Protocol Types or Encryption Types, Windows XP supports PPTP and L2TP, and should accept what ever Protocol/Encryption the connecting computer is attempting to connect with. This means that all those settings should be adjusted at the connecting computer.

Hope this helps

Re: Multiple VPN connection

multiple computers can connect to the Internet if they each had there own unique local IP address. This can be handled by a router.

A router is a piece of hardware that connects directly to the modem. Each computer is then connected to the router, instead of the modem. Now instead of your computer having the IP address supplied by your ISP, your router now is assigned that IP address. This is similar to your router acting as the apartment building.

The beauty of a router is that it can assign its own local IP addresses. When you connect a computer to the router it now receives one of the IP addresses assigned by your router, similar to how each apartment has it's own number. Now when you make a request for a Web page, the request is sent using the same ISP address, but this time it is assigned to the router. When the Web page is returned, the router receives the request, and sends it locally to the computer that requested the page.

The router also has its own local address that is similar to the local IP addresses of the computers. So now the router has two addresses assigned to it: an external one provided by your ISP, and a local one provided by it. This allows the router to connect to both the Internet and the local network.

try to use Microsoft Windows 2000 Server. It should be done successfully.

Graham Allen Guest

This is a limitation of certain routers using a feature called VPN Passthrough . Some routers only support one outbound VPN connection. explains why this occurs