Thread: Do I build media server or buy NAS ?

Do I build media server or buy NAS ?

Hi, I am planning to have a NAS for my machine to organize the media content very efficiently, but the thing that made me confuse is like how media server is different from the NAS, and if there is some difference between them so what is that Exactly, so which one should be better option as do I build my own media server or buy NAS, any suggestion would be appreciated. My current configuration is Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.6GHz processor, 2 HDD as for OS there is 60GB SSD and 640GB for storage, machine running windows 7.

Re: Do I build media server or buy NAS ?

Well, for building the own server you need to have greater storing capacity and the HDD you have is not enough to maintain those data, so for that according to me you can have option to have another HDD in your machine, which will reduce the cost as you don’t have to buy the NAS as well. but still if you are running a big network and organizes too many media files then you can have option to choose NAS.

I am agree with the above user as the thing that matter is the case size and the storage capacity that you want then you can determine which would be better. I mean if suppose you want the HDD with the capacity of 2 to 3 TB you can simply add a HDD only in the machine, if suppose you have space in your cabinet, rather you can have another option to have portable HDD as well. so if you choose any one of this there is no need to have NAS or to build a media server as well.

building a new media server doesn’t make any sense rather you can have a External enclosure for yourself which will serve each kind of media files for playing, and the best thing about it is like you can put the HDD up to 2000GB and according to me that’s the enough capacity you’ll have for your machine. As one of the model you can try Mediasonic (HF2-SU2S2) 4 Bay Sata enclosure, I would like to recommend you that you should visit their respective website, so that you’ll get the proper rather exact specification about the product.

NAS is just the option that we should concern while we want to build a setup where we have to access the files from other machine which is located in network. so there isn’t any need here. But if you are planning to setup such a environment only then you can have NAS for yourself. And while it concern the network storage NAS is the best option rather than having SAN or any other medium.

hey thanks for the suggestion guys as I was little bit confused actually but after seeing this I am quite sure about the setup, but still I have some confusion as whatever the configuration I have right now so that’s enough or I have to make changes in that as well? I mean regardless of the HDD do I need to have more capacity of RAM or the one that I have is enough, I am currently using a corsair 4 GB, and this is not the only one, so shall I need to have other peripherals as well?

When you are concerning about the NAS we have to look for the hardware as well like RAM, but I think 4 GB would be good enough for the setup you are expecting to make. But if suppose you are willing to have another that’s very good you can add another 4GB of one in your machine, that will improve the performance as well, and the OS that you are using is the best one for this kind of setup.