Thread: Need help configuring Advanced QOS settings

Need help configuring Advanced QOS settings

Is there anybody here with an advance acquaintance of QOS settings who can drive me in the correct track when it comes to what each setting means on my router QOS page and which ones required to be enabled for it to work and which ones shouldn’t? Ok I am using Wireless Router Modem, model number TP-Link TD-W8961ND. And along with that What is the best way to examine if it’s functioning correctly or not? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help configuring Advanced QOS settings

Well, while you configure the settings this means you can allocate games, video, and VoIP to dissimilar queues with dissimilar bandwidth for OUTBOUND traffic towards Internet or ISP. But the thing is like though you have no control in excess of how INBOUND traffic is line up on the route from ISP into your location. The QOS settings that you see on your router can actually merely be utilized on LAN, if you have numerous segments, or outbound traffic towards the ISP.

QOS works using DSCP or IPP technology, and you have to configure it according to your needs, by configuring these settings you can organize the priorities of different application to work the way you want. For an instance, I have put world of war craft high priority and uTorrent I have set to low priority.

See you need to set the settings which you need, there isn’t any need to set all the settings, rather the required one should be configure. According to me to get the best performance with the help of QOS you should first of all Define the traffic, as you should inform the router which traffic you desire to give QoS, though router now identify the traffic traveling throughout the router it recognizes that HTTP is HTTP, and some application is application. But the most important thing is like router won't identifies each particular application.

While configuring the setting we need to Define the traffic, Create a class-map through which you can defines the traffic into groups. For example, you could make a class-map named VoIPtraffic and place all VoIP protocols beneath it. after that you need to Create a policy-map which will go with the classes from the class-map with how much bandwidth or precedence you want to provide this traffic. After configuring the map we need to Apply the policy-map to the interface.

In general for a VoIP configuration with extremely high-bandwidth applications like UTorrent, according to me you should configure the following settings as MAC or Ethernet Port should be set to the maximum probable priority. After that any PC that is possible to utilize a lot of bandwidth, so for them you have to set to the lowest probable precedence. Applications that are not expected to utilize lot of mass bandwidth should set to average. TCP/IP Ports such as 80, 81, and 443 set to average which will make you surf the web along with other applications running.

While it concern the QOS and you don’t have any idea about the settings you should always set them to work automatically and only do the manual settings if you are well skilled about the product and its services, so it seems you don’t have enough knowledge about this, you can have option to set the router to use the QOS settings according to the need of application.