Thread: What is dedicated and non dedicated server

What is dedicated and non dedicated server

I have some confusion here. I think here I can the answer for sure. I am having confusion about what is dedicated server and what is non dedicated server. I have heard these terms often many times but I never got to know what they mean actually. I think dedicated means something dedicated for a special purpose. And non dedicated means can perform any operation. I am not sure about it so I want to know it from you people.

Re: What is dedicated and non dedicated server

As much as I know, dedicated server is a server which is available every time i.e. it is has continuous power supply and it remains available to user 24/7. Whereas, a Non-dedicated server which is not available every time. It means it can be turned off for some times. Hence dedicated and non dedicated servers differ in availability to the users. This was what I got to know from my friends. I know this much only.

Here I want to add something what I know. According to my knowledge a dedicated server is what which is made purely for your use. Whereas, a non dedicated server is a server which hosts your site as well as it hosts many other sites of different users. A non-dedicated server is not for a single entity, it is for many and it is not bounded to provide a specific service. I think this much is enough to understand basic difference between dedicated and non dedicated server.

As far as I have studied in books and from various sites, I want to add my explanation here. A dedicated server cannot be used to do ordinary work. A dedicated server works as a host for other websites in a webhosting business. If anyone wants to launch his own web site then a host is require to provide a space over the internet for that site. Dedicated server only works as a server and not as a workstation whereas; a non-dedicated web server can work as a server as well as a workstation.