Thread: How to use cisco catalyst 3550 series switches for my ccna exam?

How to use cisco catalyst 3550 series switches for my ccna exam?

I recently buy a 3550 from eBay and its very beautiful device for my internet connection .And I would like to use this device into for ccna certification . but I want to do with practice with this device and I need to connect 4 computer with this device to access to the internet . so kindly tell me where I should start I have all the this peripherals and cables just tell me how connect to router. I am very glad if anyone helps to me.

Re: How to use cisco catalyst 3550 series switches for my ccna exam?

The first of all the Catalyst 3550 it is an switch not a router. The Catalyst 3550 Series it is an Intelligent Ethernet Switch which has been a line of stackable, and the multilayer switches that should be provide high flexibility and quality of service means a (QoS), and security to enhance and perform network operations. With a range of Fast speed Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet configurations, which has to be perform .and the most probably the Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series is a powerful option for enterprise.

Now according to your question of how the device Catalyst 3550 should connected to router. The answer is as if you have router and u want to configure inter VLAN routing with Cisco Catalyst 3550 series switches. Then basic Requirements u need to known to configure a virtual lan (vlan). The components which you need are catalyst 3550-48 that runs Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(12c)EA1 EMI.and the cables.

Please be confirm that the native VLAN for an 802.1Q trunk is the same on both ends of the trunk link. If the native VLAN on one end of the trunk which has been different than the native VLAN on the other end, the traffic of the native VLANs on both sides cannot be transmitted correctly on the trunk. Separate the management VLAN from the user or server VLAN, as in this diagram. The management VLAN is different from the user or server VLAN. With this separation, any broadcast/packet storm that occurs in the user or server VLAN does not affect the management of switches.Use a Layer 3 (routed) port to connect to the default gateway port. In this example, you can easily replace a Cisco 7200VXR router with a firewall that connects to the Internet gateway router. I think you should be understand.

There are several series of Catalyst 3550 available into the market and the name are as given as Catalyst WS-C3550-12G , Catalyst WS-C3550-24PWR-emi and Catalyst WS-C3550-24PWR-smi, Catalyst WS-C3550-24-SMI , Catalyst WS-C3550-48-EMI , Catalyst WS-C3550-48-SMI these all are types of an Catalyst 3550. Cisco Systems announces the end-of-sale and end-of-life dates for the Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series switches. it is an free centralized management application that simplifies the administration task of Cisco switches.