Thread: Cables and speed limits Range extending,

Cables and speed limits Range extending,

I am an electrical engineer by profession. I'm looking to extend the maximum range of my network equipment. I have a job that requires about 500 "flanked by the switches, and I'm annoying to discover a clever way to reduce the gap. The time is cat5e direct burial and is about the bandwidth requirements low. I know you can buy off the shelf range extenders, but they are expensive, so I thought maybe I could help it.

1. It is my understanding that the protocols of lower speed (10 Mbps instead of 100, 1000) have a maximum length of operation longer, because they use a lower frequency and therefore see a low impedance. If so, are there network switches that can be forced to use lower frequency bands?
    2. Should not bother trying to find a cable with the lower characteristic impedance (or that all are similar)? Cat 5e is good enough, right?
    3. What should I do half or full-duplex, that is something I can control as well?
    4. What the network switches are reasonably priced and allow this type of configuration?
    5. If I put other switches on the ends of these 500 Ethernet bridge auto-negotiation function, there will be no conflict or that all along?

Re: Cables and speed limits Range extending,

Sorry, I'm going to make use of meters, not feet.

1. 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 100 Mbps and are certified by 100 meters. Beyond anything that might work, and is not likely 10Mbit can work, but no warranty and it would not be following regulations that may represent a valid way to avoid paying for the project.
    2. Cat5e is pretty good. Cat6 is better, STP.
    3. You can control this and certainly should choose Full Duplex, as this gives more bandwidth and no collisions, something to keep in mind when using larger lengths.
    4. Since the bandwidth of low need, maybe some refurbished equipment.
    5. All about auto-negotiation should work, and is recommended.
    6. My personal advice: we speak of Cat5e buried. Note that if you use outside the fiber, not only can you have more range (I think 400 meters is an option, which is over 500 meters, I think), but also poses a minor problem with interference, it really important here. It is more expensive though, but this initial investment can be very profitable in the future, because you can easily afford to gigabit and 10 gigabit if necessary.

It might work. I would say it depends on how well the components are in the devices at each end. The maximum of 100 m for Ethernet (all speeds) comes over propagation delay makes it from loss. In the days when half duplex all stations had to be able to detect other broadcast stations to detect and / or avoid collisions. Is approximately 100 meters. The distance the signal travels in the time it takes to transmit the smallest possible Ethernet frame (64bytes). Thus if two stations are at opposite ends of cable station 100 b to detect that the media is in use, while a station is transmitting (and not after it has done).This is not really relevant in today's world, full duplex. You will be able to get more than 100 yards from his team, but YMMV of distance with accuracy.

1. The delay spread seems to undermine my theory that will increase the low speed range. Compliance is not really a problem, just seems like a jack .if the connection did not work. With automatic hubs / switches, look set to test all transmission protocols to 10baseT, half-duplex (least desirable), so maybe you will be able to locate one that works. The cat 6 should help.
    2. I establish this cable (Cat6, UTP, gel-filled $ 210/kft) .I chose it because it is 23 AWG, solid core conductor filled with gel. Environmental noise is unlikely, but it will be buried in a field in a ditch near the AC lines, so that in his opinion, should really look for STP.
    3. Does anyone have experience with Ethernet line extenders? Can anyone recommend a product I've used, and trust (I like to build an escape route)? Wireless Bridge is also an option if other options do not work.
    4. I had seen earlier in fiber, but I got a little setback because there is some anxiety about his burial, cost, and treated twice radio, etc.

At this point I think we will install the Ethernet network as it is, along with the cat over 6, the base, and if it does not have to buy something else. Meanwhile, I am planning to write white paper on Ethernet.

I made a very long CAT5 career at one point. I took an entire box of CAT-5 for 1000 recommend you do something to avoid long journeys over Ethernet are no major troubles. I could not get the automatic detection to work, and the only way to get all the data was hard to establish 10/half. When this was connected to the connectivity for all devices on the network slowed to a crawl. The file transfer was 1 or 2 seconds before it takes 5 minutes. Our solution was to disconnect the link unless it was in use. The 500 'run should work, but you may have to play with settings to get it up and running, and could cause problems in other parts of the network.

From what I've done the research a bit more than meets the point of no return to the attenuation characteristics of the cable, but depending on the timing and size of the packages used in all common transmission protocols Ethernet. Therefore, I do not think I will be using cat5 or 6 unless you have a legitimate interest "range extender" device. I found some good options for industrial Ethernet extends into the B & B Electronics.

• I realized that I have "two strings" range extenders, but it is not clear to me that do, and if that cable is cheap and easily procurable. These do not use CAT5 / 6.
    • I am seriously re-examine the fiber, for its many attributes: opto-isolation provides a higher level of protection against attacks from light / surge in a open field (with lots of conductor cables installed in the soil), low susceptibility to noise, and capacity bandwidth. I think it is more reliable than wireless, but certainly more expensive.