Thread: How to stream 1080p content from media server using gigabit connection?

How to stream 1080p content from media server using gigabit connection?

Currently I'm streaming blue rays (with full HD audio) to my PS3 via the PS3 Media Server. This has been a great job, but I'm going to move my ps3 to my new screening room and I would put another media streamer in place. I'm looking for something with similar capabilities. I can convey my blue rays (mkv and m2ts) from my collection on the server through gigabit LAN. It seems that there are many films that can handle these formats, but none of them allows the speed. Is there one out there that I missed?

Re: How to stream 1080p content from media server using gigabit connection?

No need for a Gigabit connection for transmission from the maximum bit rate is 54Mb BD / s with a Gigabit lets you stream to multiple locations without problems. I can listen to three high ISOs Bd bitrate while my media player on my backbone. Most gigabit media players are much more capable than the PS3 can do. The PS3 is pretty limited in what it can be played. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, C200 PCH, PopBox, Xtreamer and several boxes of Boxee. The PS3 is the latest device to be considered for the reproduction of my local media. But mostly use BD ISOs too.

The ViewSonic looked very promising in that range, but it is only 10/100. According to my last post, I'm taking the wrong approach here, now that I am no longer limited to the PS3? I think we still need a client should be able to find an UPnP server on the network. Perhaps the requirement for gigabit is not necessary because some of these customers do not need to transcode the media?

You just need to 10/100 for the media player. You can connect via SMB / CIFS, or DLNA / UPnP, some media players also connect via NFS.

1. Most Popular
    2. Dune (multiple variants)
    3. Popcorn Hour
    4. Boxee Box
    5. WDTV Live
    6. Neo Netgear
    7. PopBox

It seems that you also want the HD audio which will further reduce the list.

I have to give up the high-definition audio, if I want to stay in the price range I want to be in. The problem with most of the boxes above is that they are in the range of $ 200 (except of WDTV Live). For BD ISO transmission needs a media player with Sigma 8642 / 3 and "Gigabit" LAN for example, PCH A210. Neo Netgear L 550 lists for $ 179 and can be purchased on sale for $ 169. They are now available at Fry's and Amazon. If you want to remove BD with total capacity of HD audio this may be the least expensive way to go.

For $ 179 or less, you can get a WDTV Live Hub thin stream MKV to m2ts. It also has a 1TB HD if you happen to want to store something local. This saves energy because I do not need to turn on the electronics as much. This has a high WAF and makes it easier for other people in the house for something to do with the minimum of fuss.

There is a difference in the transmission and transcoding. If you are transcoding a 1080p MKV high bitrate on the fly-in Media Server to PS3 Playstation 3 (no support Matroska) Gigabit LAN cable is highly recommended if you want to avoid any problems. However, if you transmit a 1080p MKV high bit rate of a server to a "real" media player (that supports Matroska and many other formats and containers), it is not necessary Gigabit LAN.