Thread: Managed switch network speed vs. unmanaged switch network speed

Managed switch network speed vs. unmanaged switch network speed

Hi, I own a small business firm and for that currently I am using cheap Netgear 8port, gigabyte switch's and sometimes it seems that they are not actually able to manage the machine I have putted over there, and the main thing which is concern able is the speed, I am not getting the speed which is expected. It is just 10-15mb/sec, which is I think too less when we want to transfer a file up to 1 GB or more than that, I have heard that managed switches can get up to 60Mb/Sec speed, so isn’t it? I am very keen to have such a switch for me, so any suggestion to this will be greatly appreciated.

re: Managed switch network speed vs. unmanaged switch network speed

Off course as I seen the title I was eager to tell you about both of the switches, see those both switches are different from each other, well in this case Unmanaged switches allows all traffic to go all through your network and while this is happening you have no control over the data which is coming inside the network or going outside. While if you have a managed switch you can simply have very good control over the data and it will allows ports to talk to further ports or discard at all.

See if you are willing to buy any other switch for your office I would say you should try Cisco Sg 100-24, because the one you are using has only 8 ports but in this one you can get 24 ports, and off course the data transferring speed is also good. I am using the same at my office and you can simply have a better speed at affordable rate. But let me tell you that this is quite expensive but it is worth at what you are having with it, I think that you will it at 375 US dollars.

I am agree with the above user as the recommendation is quite appropriate, but still if you are looking for any cheaper router then this, you can have another option as to have Netgear Prosafe GS724T-300NAS, with this witch you’ll get the 24 port as well. and this you’ll get it around 185 US dollar, but still let me tell you that whatever the speed you are expecting that’s not possible with this switch for that you need to have the one mentioned by the above user.

See though you’ll get better speed if you use the managed switches but still you should choose according to the nature of the traffic, if suppose there is no need of prioritizing the packets, and the traffic is also light then you can choose the unmanaged as, as they are not bad actually. the only thing that you’ll get with the managed switches is like the liable streams of data, with the proper consistency. But here also there is a glitch as we always have to specify which devices have admission to what portion of the network, and handling them is quite annoying.

Hey thanks for the complimentary replies, as after this I at least came to know that I should prefer according to the network, and I am not very much aware about this kind, thus it seems that at this point I should hire a network engineer, isn’t it? And form where shall I get such a device? Shall I order it form the internet or buy it from any hardware shop? Any more suggestion? Thanks.

Yeah that’s good idea as you are about to hire a engineer, and off course that would be the best option, because if you are not aware about networking, you should always prefer a expert. And let me tell you that in this category of switches there is smart switches as well, which offers a number of the ability that control switches but are additionally limited and fewer expensive that a managed switch. And ordering form internet would also be good option.