Thread: securing BSNL Wi-Fi router from hacking

securing BSNL Wi-Fi router from hacking

Recently I have taken the new internet connection which is wireless so for wireless connection it need Wi-Fi router for accessing the internet. The problem of this Wi-Fi router is that it sending the signals for accessing the internet this signal is also receiving by my neighbor hood so my neighbor can also access internet through my routers signal. So friends I have no ideas now how I stop by sending my routers signal to my neighbor. Please suggest me good answer from prevent misuse by my neighbor.

Re: securing BSNL Wi-Fi router from hacking

First you have to lock your router so that no one can access from your router signals .To build your Wi-Fi router locked, first you have to disable dhcp mode, and then when you connect your laptop within range it wouldn’t automatically connect to router because it wouldn’t mechanically give address to them. If your router supports Static DHCP, then use that option because this option helps to specify the Mac address to devices in which you will surf internet that directly connect to your router and this routers only lets those devices with those Mac address is match then only it will connect automatically.

You have to set up a Wi-Fi router at home with 128-bit WEP encryption. Also set your Mac address at filtering process, because of this no one could connect his devices with your routers signal. There is some Wi-Fi router also called wireless Mac Filter, which works like a static DHCP. Most routers have feature like called spi-firewall, this spi-firewall works on principle of windows firewall which detects unauthorized things and kept them far away from him. Make sure that this spi-firewall is on while connecting to router. If it’s not on then laptop will not detect router signal.

I would say that for securing the Wi-Fi router you could have to perform some steps
    1) Hide the wireless network broadcast i.e. SSID
    2) Always changing the administrator password
    3) Use WPA2 or at least WPA instead of using WEP because WEP in not so much secure
    4) Then an easy step you would install spi-firewall to block the unauthorized access
    5) Install antivirus because this Trojans and virus make loopholes which is used to give information to the hackers. This information is in form of username and password of your system.
    6) Update regularly this antivirus for automatically detection of new type of virus which is newly in market.
    These are the simple steps. There's a lot extra you are able to do to lockdown your PC.

It’s totally depending on your router that this router has which type of security. If you are using WEP security for router then it is less secure than WPA. WAP is type of security function which is used to secure your router. We can also use MAC filtering which will filter the unauthorized access. Then you can make secure your router by without adding any extra encryption technology. You can share Pre-Shared key on WPA so in this you will allot only those user who are trust worthy. In this Pre-Shared key people will have to enter the password which you have been given your trust worth friends for connecting to your router.