Thread: How to Bridge two routers for internet

How to Bridge two routers for internet

Few days I ago I have got an internet service from TWC Signature home. The service approaches with a Motorola Surfboard Wifi N wideband modem. It is working very well and there is nothing to say about this thing. However now I would like to turn of the wifi in it and utilize it like a bridge to my Dlink N wireless modem. Thus I set the wifi to off and place the Motorola to Bridge. Plugged Lan port on the Motorola toward a LAN port on Dlink except might not connect toward the internet. It seems to me that there is more I should need to do but I am lacking in bit information.

Re: How to Bridge two routers for internet

Is it a Dlink N wifi modem otherwise a Dlink N wifi router that you have? If it’s a router, in that case you must be capable to connect the Dlink toward the Motorola by use of a Lan port resting on the Motorola and the Wan port on top of the Dlink. However if your Dlink is a wifi modem, I'm not certain what your choices are. I am still looking into that. Furthermore gets the complete information regarding both routers or modems whatever you have. For internet connection either one of them must be connected to the WAN port.

There are many concepts and requirements to be understood in order to set a bridge between two units: the user or installer should be familiar to understand the concepts used by the router, if you have no experience or have trouble understanding these concepts, we recommend going to a certified technician to install. This is the basic process and should work with most ISPs, provided they are using Dynamic IP. If you can see both routers from the computer but not connected to the Internet will have to check with your ISP for more support.

The reason why it is not operational now is that both routers can be the similar IP address (ie conflict) in excess of a network you cannot have 2 DHCP servers which allocate the similar range of address. The solution is frequently not anything complicated; just make use of the wifi router single point of access:
    • The modem router: you set the major router's IP address
    • On the wireless router: you modify the IP address, you provide it like a latest address (the one you released the modem router's DHCP), afterward you put out of action the wireless router's DHCP server.
    • While you're connecting to wifi router is the modem will allocate the address to your computer It will as well be in default gateway seeing as it is the exit point toward the Internet.

I think that the second router you rules gateway (gateway) and if you can enter an address, take one of the preemie. You disable the DHCP (this is the first who does it) for other settings I'm not sure I have not read the doc. I know there is a locking system (usually WEP or something likes that) that prevents two routers in this view (that is to not do this by hacking into the neighbor). Otherwise you must configure a routing table.

In my case the Router2 remains in bridge mode connected to Router1. So everything is handled by Router1 (e.g. DHCP). Normally this by Router2 to plug one of the LAN ports on Router1. But because I want to go through the HomePlug and HomePlug same network is also used to Router1 to get on the Internet, so I sit with a connection to the WAN side instead of LAN side. So the WAN port is time for the remote Internet access via the Telnet router and the internal connectivity to Router2. I fear that it does not really work.

I can tell you that the WAN port is only a physical port, if you set it as DHCP client will accept the assignment of IP only if the "attacks" on the other end with an ethernet cable or a DHCP server equipment that is able to assign an IP also a modem / router, I'll connect a Dlink 320T that assigns the IP. I think it is possible to use the wireless router to connect the two, I suppose it is possible for example a PC with a wireless card that draws on the first router and, via an Ethernet card will share the connection to the second router and so on.

Following are ways to bridge wireless routers:
    Access Router Configuration Page:
    All routers include a firmware program which controls the work flow of the router and the firmware program on the secondary router has to be accessed to enable the bridge mode. To access the router configuration page (Interface of the firmware), you need to connect the router directly to the computer using a network cable; set the computer to obtain the IP address from the DHCP and restart the computer. Once the computer is restarted, you need to open up Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of the router. You will be prompted to enter the admin username and password and once you enter the user name and the password, you will be given access to change the settings.

Enable Bridge Mode:
    You need to navigate through the modem configuration page of the secondary router and enable bridge mode and save settings. The router would be restarted and all the computers that connect to the secondary router can avail the services provided by the primary router. If the routers belong to different networks, once the bridge mode is enabled, they become one network.