Thread: Does anyone uses Yubikey

Does anyone uses Yubikey

What is yubikey and how does it works. I found my colleague using the same and he uses it to access his site. That is really good. What more it can do. First of all what interface does it has and what about the password. It is really no matter to have such tool if it can just save your normal password. Anyone can access that. I am looking for more detail information on this. And does it is recommended to manage personal mails and other data also.

Re: Does anyone uses Yubikey

YubiKey offers you an powerful solution for your system security. It can emulate a USB keyboard and it buttons from a 44-digit password. This entirely depends on the configuration mode. A website or other system which supports user authentication via YubiKey data are validated via an appropriate web service. So you do not rely about your password lying in your system and which makes this much more secure. The service for this is provided by Yubico.

It is a nice solution for electronic security. With the usb support you get an open set of software. The software for the Yubico API is available through Google Code, but consists of two parts. A PHP application for authentication and so-called key storage module that stores the user data. It can generate an password for you and whenever you want to access your data you just need to insert the usb and authenticate yourself. It is not so hard to use and apply.

It is interesting to found the password generating ability of OneTime. It would be nice of course if the solution is well received everywhere. The YubiKey now has an virtual support for your authentication. It is extremely practical for everyday use. The only minus point is that the keys it emulate. It can with the password also emulates the enter key. My first experience with YubiKey OneTime passwords I have gathered with the YubiKey Wordpress plugin. It can be installed quite normal on the plugin management of WordPress.

It offers some number of plugins for Firefox and other media. You can integrate your one password to all of them for login and authentication. Just connect and get access to your files. YubiKey can operate in a static mode to repeatedly spend that same password. This is an alternative to add your own passwords. The manufacturer Yubico provides a tool for managing YubiKeys. Ubuntu Linux can be installed directly over APT. There is certain issue with this on Linux platform

It is nice but I don't think it can be applicable for local public. In future if there is more support for YubiKey OTP authentication then it can came under better use. A 44-character password is more secure than a normal password and also security is an major part. I found some using YubiKey on Mac OS X and comes in a static mode works very nicely. The tool is easy to manage and also works on maximum platforms.