Thread: All files are hidden due to windows xp recovery virus

All files are hidden due to windows xp recovery virus

I have a serious malware issue in my system. I was downloading some video files from web. To play them I got a popup that I have to add a codec. After installing that my antivirus gave me popup about some windows xp recovery virus. The system is now working really slow. I left the system aside after system restore. But today I found that most of the files are missing. Many folders are not visible. When I unhide them I can see many files which I never hide. What should I do.

That is actually a big problem. It is very complicated to backup data when the files or folders are hidden. I will advice you to boot your pc in safe mode. Try to scan with your system. Whatever antivirus you are using if it does not has a file heal feature then it is not going to help much. I found this feature in Norton. Instead of deleting the files it just heal it. So that your data is not lost. But if files is completely damage then it will move it to quarantine.

Before messing up more with your pc I will advice you to run Malwarebytes once. This is one of the best anti-malware scanner which keeps your system protected from various threats. The only issue with this anti-malware is that it is a paid tool. You can only go ahead using the trial for limited period. You have to then manually modify the file settings and unhide them.