Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011

How to erase each data from my computer?

I am having a computer that I want to sell someone as I am going to buy a new one for me. This is Dell Inspiron 530 desktop PC which is having the Windows Vista installed in that. Now what I want is to clear each and every personal data that I have stored in that. I don?t want even a bit of data to remain in that other than the operating system. Can you tell me that how can I do that securely. I want you to help me to do that with your suggestions.
Old 10-07-2011

Re: How to erase each data from my computer?

Very simple way to do that is to format the drive and install the operating system again. Just format the entire driver one by one except the C: drive. Once you are done with formatting all the drive then you can simply go for the installation of the operating system once again. Do the complete installation of that and by this you will be able to delete all the files in that. This is very simple and there is no need of special knowledge of system. Someone with basic computer can do that.
Old 10-07-2011

Formatting the drive is good option to do that but I would like to tell you that formatting and reinstalling will not provide you the exact protection. It is possible for anyone to recover that data from it. All you have to do is just wipe the drive by securely deleting the data on that. Most computers have shipped through the tools for recovery within unique partitions lying on the hard drive instead of on discs. You may desire to verify with HP as well as Dell to discover how to restore operating system.
Old 10-07-2011

If you can find some method to restore the Windows to its factory state then you can make use of the Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) which will help you to wipe your drive and that will restore the windows as well. Other than this, there are many of the other tools that can help you to do that. There is one toll known as Eraser which can be considered as a good tool to do that. You can also try that to see if that helps you.
Old 10-07-2011

The best thing that I can recommend you is make use of the CCleaner or CCleaner Portable and that will help you to wipe the unused space lying on your drive. You will also be able to delete all the data from your computer. I always make use of the CCleaner o do that. You can also make use of that and don?t go for some other software because they may cause herm to your system. CCleaner is the best and I think that most people will refer the same to you. Thank you!!!
Old 11-07-2011

I also agree with the above post that the CCleaner will be the best option for you. Just go to the tools and from there make use of the "Drive Wiper". If the partition doesn?t hold the operating system then you can wipe the whole drive with the help of "DOD 5220" otherwise "NSA" security algorithm. Don't make use of "Gutmann" because it will receive forever even for a 80GB HDD. For partition which is having the Operating System, you will first have to delete each of your personal files and after that wipe the free space through CCleaner.
Old 12-07-2011

In the past, Dell has not had that option, because it actually comes with recovery discs (in the form of a disk of most current Windows installation disc drivers and applications). I honestly do not know if they are still that way or not. I know that HP does not allow burning recovery disks since it does not supply them, but I mean that only allow once if I remember correctly. If that is the case, if a set has been burned before, then you could be out of luck.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,