Thread: Does Microsoft security essentials is enough for fake antivirus security shield

Does Microsoft security essentials is enough for fake antivirus security shield

I've been told by a friend whose computer I help maintain that her system (Windows 7) has been infected by Security Shield. It appears to have been delivered by either an email attachment or link in an email from a known correspondent. Not knowing anything about Security Shield, I began searching for info and discovered it pretty well hijacks the entire system, even blocking currently installed security software. Her system has MS Security Essentials installed. What recommendations do you have for removing the rogueware?

re: Does Microsoft security essentials is enough for fake antivirus security shield

Hello guys I am having similar query. My system is fairly new, having been purchased a month ago. Is it better to restore the system to its "factory out of the box state" or is it worth trying to remove Security Shield? Based on what I've read so far, I am concerned about following links on a Google search to deal with Security Shield for fear the sites might be controlled by the malware itself. Please share your knowledge with me thank you.

re: Does Microsoft security essentials is enough for fake antivirus security shield

There are a plethora of these "fake" security/antivirus programs which exist for the sole purpose of selling themselves to you. There are still people who construct money produce and selling the parts of these counterfeit programs, selling conduct to acquire approximately/disable existing legitimate system protection program, and selling information of exploits that are unidentified or not yet patched. I hope this will help you thank you.

It's very hard for a security system to protect the system against the user inviting an intruder, which is how most of these invasions take place. The user possibly will even perform something as "safe" as click on top of No Thanks or on the [X] to close a window and that in fact tells the invader to come on top of within. The genuine program that invades possibly will not of itself be malign however it's set up to perform somewhat annoying and to blackmail you into paying up.

Hopefully the premium antivirus products are a little bit quicker at discovering the threat, generating protection for it, and getting it out to their customers. The fact remains, however, that this whole arena of dumping c-rapware on people's system is akin to a duel in which the bad guys always get to take the first shot. If they kill your protection with that first (as yet unknown# shot, which they commonly do, then the c-rapware is on your system and you need to find other software that can deal with it after the fact.

For several months, my computer would mysteriously be trashed. I noticed no strange processes, no pop-ups, no high jacking, or anything like that. My system restore would never work. Every few weeks I would awaken one day to discover that my computer would not boot, because one of the registry files was missing and the boot sector would be corrupt. If I was lucking, I would be able to get it somewhat fixed by playing with the complicated Windows XP recovery console, and other times I would have to format the drive and start from scratch.

Re: Does Microsoft security essentials is enough for fake antivirus security shield

A possibility in your case is that something you were doing was exposing you to an item of malicious software. A lot of such software these days uses some very nasty techniques to get onto your system, the TDSS rootkit being an example of such. There is a flavor of that rootkit that both rewrites the Master Boot Record of your system and commonly replaces a required system driver with a doctored version which serves to start the rootkit before an antivirus such as Norton gets started.