Thread: What is FileASSASSIN in Malwarebyte?

What is FileASSASSIN in Malwarebyte?

On Malwarebytes there is a tool that says, FileASSASSIN and also fileassassin can help delete locked files. then says run tool. i have some files there that I have no idea what they are for, is it ok to delete them ? Why are they locked? would purchasing more features instead of the free malwarebytes be in my best interest and would it interfere with my other antivirus Trend micro? So please let me know what is the use of this stuff in the malware tool. Please let me know about the same.

Re: What is FileASSASSIN in Malwarebyte?

Hugh's advice is spot-on depending on where the file is located. In bona-fide Windows temp folders (of which there are two), then it is OK to delete all files therein if they are in use, then they won't delete other than that one is well advised never to yourself delete a file, particularly if you have to go to extreme measures such as using a tool like File Assasin to delete the file, just because you do not know what it is for. Files are typically locked because they are in active use. I would not purchase MalwareBytes as a companion to the Trend Micro product. You would then have two products examining your files in real-time before allowing them to run and that very likely will slow down your computer.

Malwarebytes has coexisted well with Avast 6.0.1125 and Outpost 2009 Free. One way to get around possible conflicts is to add Malwarebytes to the exclusion list in Avast. This is MalwareBytesPro that I'm using. They had a sale and picked it up for around 20 bucks some time ago now. Like my setup, but am looking at other firewalls to replace OutPost not too thrilled by the new Outpost Free Suite, found Online Armor to cause minor issues with legacy dos apps and the jury is out on Private Firewall for me. Have looked at others, but nothing that I wanted to run on this old Thinkpad t40 with just 768 RAM

I am happy to hear that running MalwareBytes Professional with the realtime scanner active and Avast and a separate firewall is working for you. I'm sure MalwareBytes is written to co-exist with real-time scanning antivirus products. All the same what Hugh and I are both saying here is that having two programs that are doing real-time scanning of executable files before they are allowed to run is more likely than not to affect the performance of a computer. Realtime is realtime and having code examined by two different real-time scanning programs before it can be used has to take more realtime than having just one process examine the code. If the security provided by having multiple apps doing real-time scanning is more important to you than the performance of a system and the two apps do get along , then you or anyone else is, of course, free to do just that it's your system; your choice.