Thread: How to build your own powerful router using Linux distros?

How to build your own powerful router using Linux distros?

Are you weary of the irresistible level broadband router at residence with a lot of traffic? Require for improved excellence of service? Wish for incredible you do not have to reboot often? Better performance in some of the fastest Internet connection these days. as the last 10 or 20 megs that many home grade routers cannot keep up with .Add some of the characteristics of business / enterprise grade as VPN, DMZ, UTM features such as virus scans and deleting spam, web / content filtering, blocking a number of of the protocols for instant messaging and peer to peer traffic. You accomplish not have need of to be recognizable with Linux to put together these routers, or administer. Which are managed from first to last web interfaces like the distinctive Linksys / Net gear / Dlink router? Download an ISO and burn to CD.

Re: How to build your own powerful router using Linux distros?

I have a PC that has network cards .2x boot from the CD and have an installation wizard that has its hand through the entire process. If you are a little comfortable creating and managing your router grade. You be capable of construct and direct one of these. A number of stronger in a number of areas than others, and a rising number bringing full-featured UTM (Unified Threat Management). These UTM features are extremely interesting I'm in. And using a few customers with good results. The UTM distros add antivirus scanning of all webs, mail, ftp and trafficking, as well as the elimination of spam web traffic. Some add ad / spyware blocking browser traffic as well. And more robust intrusion detection by Snort.

I know you've used many of the linux-pfSense firewalls, etc. in the past endian.Now I have kids and every time I'm using my Comcast Free McAfee security suite that I like, but it has to be configured on each pc.I saw your thread and it seems really think endian was pretty good. Would it be good to watch / protect children online? My thought would be that I could put a server endian just after my cable modem. I want a wireless zone and then an area protected by cable that prevented the wireless security. You may also.

Endian is good, a new distro called Untangle UTM, which has a improved antivirus and antispyware protection. The power requirements to run a little more time. A UTM device is not a substitute for a good desktop antivirus, but it is a great layer of protection. Yes, you can create zones for wireless networks added .even though a lot of the right of entry points will be capable of now, does it themselves.

I developed a personal interest in this post when I saw it. I'm using the server to unravel in my office, but I have question to ask about wireless. i have network cards already installed drive in my unraveling, but now just bought a new wireless radio that can deliver mobile services around our area (protected wireless). Now I want to ask is whether it is possible to add another network card in unraveling which can be used to service the wireless radio on and set something like access point in which users can access via their browsers.

Untangle is not compatible with wireless cards. I do not think they have provided in its plan of work either. because it is intended more for large enterprise and SMB network medium / small companies, where dedicated access points are used.I have some clients of mine to Unravel and wireless, and their configurations are alike to if I have normal routers. I can use committed access points, or if I have a wireless router, I can reconfigure it to run in access point mode (disable DHCP on it, change its LAN IP to something like 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.245 instead of 192.168.1.1 would unravel and then uploaded to the main switch using a LAN port on the wireless network, router, Internet / wireless router's WAN port is not used)

Add some third-party firmware for some routes house accepted that you can add features and performance.
    1 dd-wrt - free Linux-based firmware for several wireless routers
    2 tomato firmware-An extremely inconsequential firmware, less features than DD-WRT, but lighter and snappier. Huge constancy.
    3 Packet protectors- A Linux that put in some UTM features, antivirus scanning, content filtering, OpenDNS integration.