Thread: distro with an web server

distro with an web server

Hello friends, planning to setup a home web server and I need a distro as I’m having a problem with ubuntu due to which I’m having a problem with mysql and word press most of these issue are seen back in folder/file ownership and permissions’ had even tried with chmod and chowning every folder in /var/www just for vsftpd and word press but still it’s not working. Does someone know what the problem? When I’m uploading the file I could not able to move it to /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/" which shows an error. I’m seeing for ubuntu which have nice box feature like vncviewer wich has a root authority. My computer is old which has a cd-rom and no port for usb. I had seen the debian which required 50cd and the minimum installation which have to do manually but I don’t know how to do.

re: distro with an web server

Hello, even I’m having the same problem like you I have tried this in both ubuntu desktop and ubuntu serve. Ubuntu server was working well with ftp configuration but I’m still having the problem with word press. I want a testbed. I just wanted to use debian live distro. I want to know what the difference between live iso and the net installer debian.org. You must try with ftp configuration hope this will help you a lot and to get rid from your problem.

Hello, it’s seem like you are having a problem with configureing it and even ubuntu itself is having the problem just check it if you’re trying Ubuntu 10.04(Long Term Support) and for the other version of linux. Cento 5 is old but it still great which add benefit of upgrading it to the Red Hat with support. Debian is also old and it’s like Ubuntu and Arch Linux is also good. You problem will be resolved by upgrading it and it’s require quite small time.

Hello, according to my experience Ubuntu server is good and a wonderfull webserver platform. Debain squeeze is as comparable with Ubuntu server is good. For ubuntu desktop I would suggest you for new user interface. I’m using Debain squeeze for web serving and Scientific Linux is also good to use. I’m not much comfortable with debian so I’m planning to move on anything which is better. Hope your problem will get solve as soon as possible.

Hello, for deblin you need RH-based distro in CentOS.debin is stable and gives hard security, stability, and reliability. Ubuntu si good to use with desktop OS but it’s not worth to run it with the server operating system as it’s not designed for that. Are you aware about sticky bit which is for file or dir permissions? I don’t think you are having a distro problem. Maybe your problem is due to lack of familiarity between linux or UNIX operating system.

Hello, even I was having the same problem so I had upgrade it to the deblin squeeze. After the partition was overwritten by squeeze I don’t know what the problem but I’m too mush satisfied by having web/mail/dns/ftp server. So I would recommend you to upgrade it to the deblin squeeze and then try the things hope that will help you to get rid of your problem but if your problem still persist then I you should search it in Google or see the YouTube video to know how to configure it with the ftp.