Thread: How to display TCP/UDP active Connections

How to display TCP/UDP active Connections

Hello guys, I have purchased second hand computer and I have installed windows 7 in my computer. I am using tcp connection first time to connect to people who are online, from past few days I am receiving unsuspected messages request to connect to them, I don’t know how to see the TCP active connection. So for my security purpose I wanted to know that is there any way through which I can come to know the person or the no of TCP connection active on my line or who are connected to me.

Re: How to display TCP/UDP active Connections

I have gone through your problem and I noticed that you have a security problem, so want to track the people who are online or the no. of TCP active connection. For this purpose you can record data of all process or the connection that are established and are active, I think this can help you in solving your security Issue. Before starting your connection ensure that you are running your computer as an administrator. Hope this might help in solving your problem

To know that who are all have active connection you can use netstat it is a tool that is used to check the TCP active connection, Ethernet statistics, the IP routing table. With the netstat you can easily find out your TCP active connection. While using netstat see to that you are running as an administrator. When you run a netstat-bn ---> stat.txt, through this you can save the current TCP active connection and it shows the true process in the list which is being displayed following is the syntax of netstat
    Netstat [-a][-e][-n][-o][-p Protocol][-r][-s][Interval]
    I have listed some additional commands for you, nbtstat –o 5 is used to display active TCP connection and the process ID s in every 5 seconds, nbtstat –n –o is used to display the active TCP connection and Process IDs in numerical form

Looking to your problem I would recommend you to use CurrPorts, it is a networking monitoring software and it is also used to display the list of all currently opened TCP/IP and UDP ports on your local machine. It is useful for you because it allows you to close unwanted TCP connections, kill the process and as you mention that you want to track data for this purpose you can save the TCP/UDP port information to Text file. CurrPorts has one advantage that it marks with some color the suspicious TCP/UDP ports owned by unidentified applications. If you want to start using just copy the setup file i.e. cports.exe to any folder you like and run it.

There is one more software that can be used to track all your TCP and UDP endpoints on your system and that to in detailed listing known as TCPVIEW. In windows it also reports the name of the process that owns the endpoint. You can download this software from the official site and while downloading its download include Tcpvcon, and a command line version with the same functionality. This software updates every second, but if you want you can use Options ---> Refresh Rate menu item to change the refresh rate, and if you want to close any connection you can close it by right-clicking on a connections, you can also save TCPViews output window.