Thread: How to prevent attack on Linux Server

How to prevent attack on Linux Server

Hey guys, I am very new when it comes to the online security. I am using my Linux server (RedHat). I have seen that it has been attacked by some people on a regular basis. I have the following list of IP address that were banned by the DDos deflate and also by the apf firewall.

1795 with 1795 connections
    1898 with 1898 connections
    2030 with 2030 connections
    1902 with 1902 connections
    1783 with 1783 connections
    1755 with 1755 connections

I don’t know what kind of attack is this? Is there any way that I can protect my server? As the database is always displaying the message “there are too many connections”

Re: How to prevent attack on Linux Server

There are many tools available in the market which can help to secure your server. One of those is the ConfigServer Security & Firewall (csf+ldf). In to your WebHost Manager you can install this complete package. This package comes with many tools that will help you estimate your server security. It will also block the hosts automatically that are trying to perform some or the other kind of attacks on your server. As it is most power full toll I would like to recommend this.

If you are having the server and want to protect it then you will have to increase the security level. If you are using the server then all the software’s installed in the server must be patched properly. Also have the updates of the signatures of your software. Dynamic loading must be disabled in the server configuration and this can be done by the administrator of the website. So everything depends on the security of the server you are using and the software.

The attacker who starts attacking will try to make your server very busy. What the attackers do is, they just go on sending the request to the server for the connection. After sending so many request (probably they will use number of computers to do so) and just go away. The server just accept the connection and waits for the another request. And attacker does not even request anything again making the server timeout. There will be nearly more than 500 connections making the same thing.

You will be required to protect your hardware DDOS. This is the best way to secure your server. I will suggest you to use those which provide you the DDOS protection. Protecting the hardware is not of much cheap cost. You will find that many of the providers do not publish about their services, but if you try to search on the DDOS forums. From the search you can find the providers that will provide you a good protection.

For security purpose make sure that you follow the preventive steps to secure your server. Even if your problem is small never ignore it. And don’t worry about the problems as there are no problems that cannot be solved. And always try to back-up all your things and database. Never depend on the google results as they will not be always right. Lastly protect your server with as much security you can give.