Thread: How to set up honey pot?

How to set up honey pot?

I was planning to build up a Honey-pot network, so I wanted to know about it, is there any software or guide available for setting up a Honey-pot? I want to set up my honey-pot so that I can log ip’s and connect my computer and monitor port scanning, spoofing etc, I wanted to know that what are the ways through which I can set up a honey-pot? I really want to learn about honey pot, how does it work and what all thing I can do with it? Pease share your knowledge about it with me thank you.

Re: How to set up honey pot?

Are you really sure you want to set up honey pot? Are you aware that building an honey pot is illegal that comes under spamming, hacking activities, so before you start up setting up a honey pot kindly keep these things in your mind. It adds security implementations on your internet, so if you are not much familiar with what you are trying to do you must probably not surrender your computer when you are not able to manage it properly.

Honey pot are the system that decoys servers or the systems setup that helps in gathering information on any attacker or intruder into your system, please note that honey pot does not replaces any of your internet security system, it just adds another level to your internet or system. Before you start setting up a honey-pot I would like to tell you that honey pot can cost you a lot of money, but there are many ways through which it can be done at a low cost.

Honey pot can be set up in the DMZ of a firewall either inside or outside; it can even be set up on other locations as they are mostly developed inside of a firewall for easy control. Basically they are variants of standard Intruder Detection Systems (IDS) and it also focuses on gathering information and deception. Honey pot is quite risky to the network so it must be handled with care, as if its not used properly any attacker can use them and break into your system. So be careful.

Get a honey pot software, you can download it or purchase it, there are some good ones that you can try out Tiny Honeypot, LaBrea and Honeyd. You can try out these software’s to set up honey pot, note all of these software’s can be used only on Linux system, for windows you can try KESencor, install these software’s and restart your computer as the honey pot will not go into effect until the system is restarted, configure the honey pot, once you have configured the settings of the honey pot, you can now start running on your system.