Thread: Backup retention with incremental

Backup retention with incremental

My data is important form financial point of view and that is why I want to take backup. I want to move to full backup to incremental due to increased backup load. We are thinking of retaining of our backup for 2 weeks. I don’t know how often netback up creates 0 level backups. Please provide appropriate solution.

Re: Backup retention with incremental

I also faced similar issue and here is what I have done to overcome it. if u create a backup policy with 2weeks retention then netbackup will keep that image for 2weeks and it does not matter whether your backup frequency is one day or 1 week. Retention is different and backup frequency is different. So concentrate on backup not on its frequency of retention. Hope this works for you.

I also faced similar issue and I did the following things to fix it up. Just ensure your retention on your full is greater than that of your incremental - after all the incremental are based on the full’s and if the latter expire first then you will have issues if you need to do a full restore in a dr situation. We schedule full’s once a month retained for a year & differential incremental daily thereafter interspersed with weekly cumulative incremental, the incremental being retained for one month.

To overcome this problem considers that, if you schedule a full backup to run on month end with1Year retention. Netbackup will run one full backup per month and the data is protected for a year only for that particular full backup. Also please read through the schedule section of the netbackup I. It explains in detail how frequency and retention levels can be planned. See whether it works for you as per your requirement.