Thread: Backup speed decreases after upgrading to NetBackup 7.1

Backup speed decreases after upgrading to NetBackup 7.1

We are in the development of advancing our server to NetBackup 7.1. Although doing this we are upgrading our server to a newer more tough hardware stand. I have followed the procedures in bringing our current 6.5.6 environment more than to the new server (similar server name, fix directory, catalog, etc.), and have all up and running with no errors. My difficulty lies with the backup speeds that we are facing after the migration. Policies that were running fine on the older creation environment are now fading, and not concluding in there allotted schedule windows. I have compared the Activity Monitors of the two and can see the difference between the two speeds (new server is half the speed). Does anyone know of any tweak or analysis that how this may be happening? It seems on our earlier server setup there were some things I could do to help out this process, but I cannot remember or located what it was. I know it cannot be the server specs, but I will include them any ways.

Re: Backup speed decreases after upgrading to NetBackup 7.1

The standard measures for performance tuning in the Netbackup Backup development and Performance Tuning Guide". Check Network interface card speed/duplex setting, but that’s most likely not the trouble. If you moved the whole thing from one box to the next, you may not have put up the NET_BUFFER_SZ the same as before. Also run the tuning steps in the guide between the new server and the clients. And if your backups are going straight to tape, always check your buffer size and number of buffers. All this would be found in the Tuning Guide.

I also see slower backups when I switch to an HP C-Class Blade Server. In addition to things like net buffer size, you should verify the firmware levels on your blade & the blade area itself. Also, are you teaming the network interface card on the blade .The impact performance also, runs best with single-network interface card. Also have look at what additional systems are in that blade enclosed space & the quantity of data they each move could be irresistible the blade chassis.

Also check, your NetBackup Database on local or Storage Area Network (SAN) disk. If on Storage Area Network (SAN), divide the application, logs and Database onto three different Logical Unit Numbers (LUNS). All on the similar Logical Unit Numbers (Luns) will contact presentation, best practice is on local disk, but if on Storage Area Network (SAN), split the Logical Unit Numbers (LUNS).Try to on local disk for greater performance

Always check the following things while checking the backup speed.
    1 Check your Netbackup Master logs.
    2 Check your buffer time error.
    3 check your driver.
    4 upgrade your firmware and drivers
    5 Run some test to check the speed performance.