Thread: How to add firewall with IP range to block Google Update

How to add firewall with IP range to block Google Update

Hello guys please help me. My Google keeps updating without notifying me, which is eating up my bandwidth. So I wanted to clock this Google Update. Even after blocking all the services it starts automatically via Firefox. So I wanted to know how I can block these Google update process i.e. block IP ranges 173.194.0.0/16 and 74.125.0.0/16 for all programs. Please help me by posting your suggestions. You suggestion will be appreciated like always. Thank you in advance. I am desperately waiting for response. Also I am using BitDefender.

Re: How to add firewall with IP range to block Google Update

You should customize your settings in the BitDefender Firewall. As you know, there is no interface that will ask for users permission before updating the application and as you don’t have to manually check for updates, I would recommend you to change the auto-update setting or disable the auto-updater. You can also set interval for the updates for example check updates once in a day or week. Or you should set the settings as “always ask before updating”. You can select option in the settings like, 1 to disable the auto-updater; or 0 to enable it.

You can remove the Google update from your system by performing these easy steps. What you have to do is delete the entries from your computers start up. Or else block all the Google update programs with the firewall like your BitDefender firewall. Also check if the problem occurs only with the Firefox browser or with any other browser also. Check if the issue is faced while you are using any other browser or not. Contact the Customer care of Google to get a proper solution. You can also use Google Administrative Template and set all updates to off inorder to solve the issue.

You have to configure different policies for different Google applications. Make sure that you have allowed only manual updates and also you should make sure that you have selected the option to prevent the applications from installing on your computer. If you have installed any policy editor then edit the registry entries directly. Or else use the usual registry editor available in your Operating System
    Disable the following three services:
    • Google Update Service (gupdate)
    • Google Update Service (gupdatem)
    • Google Updater Service

Create the following key by starting the registry editor (regedit):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update
    and add two DWORD values:
    AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes - auto-update check interval
    DisableAutoUpdateChecksCheckboxValue - 1, if you wish to disable the auto-updater; and select 0, if you want to enable it.

Thank you, guys for solving my issue. It was very kind of you to do so I really appreciate your time and efforts. I was seriously very much irritated wit Google updating its applications without even informing me and was totally fed up of seeing my so much of bandwidth getting used. Finally with your help the problem got solved. I liked the above solution of going to the registry editor and adding up those two DWORD values. It really worked wonders for me.