Thread: How can I built server using Altiris SMS 7.1 package servers

How can I built server using Altiris SMS 7.1 package servers

I at the moment comprise one SMS server setup in the company of the program library pointing to a dissimilar file server in the network. After that I found out I can't change the place used for disk images approximating I would for the software library with UNC unless I construct the file server a package server. If I do this then the file server will comprise two copies of the program library plus the disk images which is a throw away of space. Later on I will add a more wrap up servers but first I want to know how can I keep away from having the SMS server act as a wrap up server for the program library and disk images? In addition if it's likely to modify the default position of the software within individual package servers (to dissimilar drives within all package server).

Re: How can I built server using Altiris SMS 7.1 package servers

I'm not pretty sure what you are referring to. There is no such thing in the Altiris world as an SMS server. Is this a site server running particular services? Is this your SMP (platform) running NS (notification server)? What solutions are you functioning with? If I can recognize the unusual Altiris server components you have in position, I might be better able to appreciate how you want to structure the repositories.

I meant the Altiris Client Management Suite 7.1(CMS). Mostly I want to have one NS/DS server plus 2 remote site servers running the package and task services. The NS/DS server doesn't have much storage space so I'd like to point the software library and disk images to our open file server. I know i could make the file server a site server but since it's previously holding the software library I'm anxious it will replica to itself and comprise an additional copy of the packages. Any recommendation on server bandwidth

No bandwidth is saved by putting task servers at each place, so you may want to place them at HQ. Have you referred to the training and completion guide for the information? How numerous nodes do you comprise, at how many sites? I am acquainted with that if the NS grip your program Library, it won't also repeat it to a second place. I have to take for decided a site server would perform in the same way, but I haven't tested this. Are you planning on placing your two package servers at your huge remote sites? If you plan on imaging at a site, you will want to have site servers running task, package, and DS handlers there.

I checked the planning and completion guide. I'm scheduling on imaging in at least one site besides the HQ. So I need to install the services you mention. As for the Software library located on a package server it will repeat to itself...either the Altiris agent folder or any other folder specified on the wrap up server setting tab for each wrap up (only if package replicates to all wrap up servers).I haven't capture any images. But I notice that if I import an image on a site server, the console shows the image as if it was situated on the NS/DS server which is not... but I can in fact change the image location (using UNC) in the package settings tab so that you could help me with location up HQ.