Thread: Bitdefender Firewall is blocking windows Update

Bitdefender Firewall is blocking windows Update

My computer is having windows operating system and I have installed Bitdefender internet security 2011 on my computer. Now I found that there is problem with this software as I am not able to perform windows update for my computer. I think Bitdefender firewall is blocking this windows update process. I recognized this because when I turn this firewall off then the windows update works perfectly. So can I add some sites so that it doesn’t block them?

Re: Bitdefender Firewall is blocking windows Update

I guess this is happening because Bitdefender firewall is thinking that the site that you are trying to access is a restricted one or rather not trusted. This is because firewall is the most important software which is needed in all computers and it is programmed in such a way that it filters every data which goes out of that or the data which approaches inside the computer. You need to remove that update site from the list so that firewall would not block that.

Yes definitely firewall would block the incoming data or outgoing data that doesn’t match with the list which the firewall creates. In your computer might be Bitdefender firewall is configured in such a way that it blocks the windows service. So go through this firewall and remove the Microsoft website if it is in block list. If you do this then firewall would now check for the list again and now it won’t block the windows update process as it has been removed from the block list.

I also think that this Bitdefender firewall would have created the block list and this includes windows update in the list. So if you don’t won’t to go through the block list then you should add a rule for the update process. Just configure the firewall by going through the exception list and you will find a option for adding rule, where you need to add the windows update process. So when next time you try to start windows update then this won’t be blocked as firewall has an exception for the windows update.

I thank you all as you provide me a solution for my query. Well I tried to look at the block list of the Bitdefender firewall list and I didn’t found anything saying that windows update process is blocked. Also I tried to add a rule in firewall exception list, but this also didn’t helped. I am having windows 7 operating system and firewall blocks only the windows update process and no other thing. So please suggest me some other thing for this problem.

If you want to update windows then you could do this by disabling the Bitdefender firewall. This would probably stop firewall to filter any data. So just update the windows and after that again start the firewall. Else what you could do is reset the firewall, this would default all the rules which are set in the firewall. The last thing to try out is to reinstall the Bitdefender internet security software again and this would reset all the configured things and probably remove the problem that you are causing.