Thread: How to share audio files in Linux

How to share audio files in Linux

How to share some audio files between mac and linux system. My friend has a laptop which has lots of audio files in it. I had tried usb but that is consuming too much times. I want some direct options that can help me to share music files from my Linux Pc to Mac system. I need some tools for the same. I tried using a media center thing but that is too confusing. I want to stream music directly from iTunes to Linux media player. Thanks.

Re: How to share audio files in Linux

For that there is only one thing that I prefer to use, it is DAAP. This is also called as Digital Audio Access Protocol. It is a kind of an common protocol between your Mac OS X system and Linux system. This tool will also you to l share your library with your music player on the Linux system. This protocol is similar in fact the well known HTTP protocol for sharing the playlist and streaming music over the network.

You must not be aware that Apple has done modifications in authentication protocol for third party clients. So it is important to work with those stuff which can help you to achieve what you want. It is no longer possible to access a shared library in iTunes 7.0 for Linux as a music player Amarok, Banshee or Rhytmbox. But there is something which is much more helpful than this. You can try to use Fire Fly Media Server. This is an kind of an small DAAP server which is also known as mt-daap. It is also found in Mac OS X.

It is recommended that you must install Fire Fly media server before installing Daap. At the setup it begins by checking an option which states sharing is turned off in iTunes. If you check the same then only it will work when you configure the server. So that there will be no conflict between the two systems. Install the media server and then go in System Preferences. Configuration is very simple. You need to enter the share name that you want on the network and then you need to configure the folder where music library is located.

I am right now using Banshee music player on my Ubuntu Linux workstation. The procedure to access the share is quiet simple if you had a media server. It does not matter what it is, but the same must be a bit compatible with both the operating systems. You will also need to configure an plugin which enable the music sharing. The share name should appear automatically in the Shared Music list Banshee. Just provide the login id and password of your Linux system and share the music.

The best audio format that will work in your system is mp3. This one is simple and easy to use. The advantage of this solution can be compared to a simple sharing iTunes. It is not important to run iTunes to access your music. Just get an media server. It is not really tough to configure this. More importantly, it is possible to connect directly from the web DAAP server and sharing a PC with rhythm box. Effectively with this technique you can share your music streaming with all Linux system.