Thread: What things are supposed to be done in managing a Network?

What things are supposed to be done in managing a Network?

Nowadays I am about to complete the network course and I think I have acquired certain knowledge regarding the hardware and networking. Recently one of my friends told me that you could get a job in network firm for a post of network managing. I just told him that yes I would try for this but I am not aware of what things are to be done in managing a network. So please guide me regarding this and also let me know some remote monitoring tool so that I can even troubleshoot the same remotely.

Re: What things are supposed to be done in managing a Network?

Basically there are ample of things which are necessary as well as important to manage the network. Definitely you are entering the organization and you would find lots of computers which would be connected over a network. The thing that you would have learn in your institute would be a basic one, as I have such experience with an institute and they teach the networking by using at most two to five computers. So you don’t get worry about this as they would provide you with a training regarding that and then you would have a better experience also.

What I would recommend is that when you are about to enter for the that job then look for the company profile so that you would know what all devices the company is using and which operating system they are using. Accordingly you need to learn these things and also have a look on these devices and how do they function. You should also be able to connect the computers and then also if some problem occurs on the network then you will have to troubleshoot it.

One of my friends is working in a bigger firm as after having a look on your query I asked him what all things are necessary for a network manager to be done. So I would highlight some of it as follows. There is a responsibility in managing whole company network; the main thing here is to administer the network which has been setup. These networks include servers and several clients, so you need to manage the whole thing and also look for the network security. You should know certain commands of a particular operating system for which the network had been set up. It may be Linux or windows.

If the company planned to setup the email servers then accordingly you need to setup such servers and also manage or administer it. Several other things are also there that you need to protect against the malicious programs so you need to maintain some antivirus or antispyware programs on your network. There may be some need to deal with the firewall usually may be you need to create a new rule according to the company criteria as well as filter some rule in order to secure the data over network.

There might be a case where if company plans to upgrade their existing network setup then you need to advise the same and provide a better strategy. For that you have to look on the budget and then select an appropriate topology. In order to manage a network remotely you will need several programs which are to be installed and configured on every node on the network. So for this most of them use Team viewer program for remote monitoring and configuring. So have a look on that software and understand the same.

In order to manage the network the above things are as necessary as well as for additional things you need to know several protocols of network. The most basic are FTP, HTTP, telnet, TCP. As well as you should go through all the configurations such as configuring a printer over a network, or to take a backup of all the data gathered whole day, the important thing is that backup is took every day so that in case of any such failures you can restore the same and continue the ongoing work of the company.