Thread: AVG taking very long time for scanning and updating

AVG taking very long time for scanning and updating

Recently, I have noticed that AVG 2011 has started working very badly in my system which is running Windows XP. The PC start up time has increased to a considerable amount. The PC gets stuck so often that I just can’t do anything for up to 4-5 minutes as the AVG is hanging everything. I am annoyed with this thing and want to solve this issue as soon as possible. Also the AVG is always looking for updates thus slowing down my system more. What I can possible do to get rid of all the issues. Please help me by giving me your quality suggestions.

Re: AVG taking very long time for scanning and updating

Your AVG is taking so much time while you are scanning your system because you might be scanning your system while you are running many applications. This is why most of your CPU resources are getting used and your AVG is causing your system to get stuck/hang while it is performing system scan. So, I would recommend you to make sure that you are not running any unnecessary application in your system. If you find any then I would recommend you to delete or terminate those processes by going to the task manager.

It might be possible that you are having some kind of connection issue that is why you are finding issues while you are updating your AVG antivirus. You are unable to connect to AVG’s official website and download the necessary updates from there. So, make sure that you Internet is working fine and you are not facing any issue with your Internet connection. You can perform update by starting the AVG GUI and clicking on the option of Update program or Update Virus database/definition.

Your system is hanging while you are performing system scan and you are facing issue while updating the AVG, because the AVG installed in your system is of some older version, or it might be having some compatibility issue with some other application installed in your system, like any other installed antivirus/antispyware. Make sure no such things are causing issue with your AVG. You can download an offline installer of AVG antivirus from the official website of AVG. But make sure you are downloading and installing the one which is the newest.

As you have mentioned that you are annoyed by the automatic update of AVG, I would recommend you to turn off/disable the automatic update option in Your AVG antivirus. You can do so by following the below few steps:
    • Double click on the AVG antivirus shortcut icon in your desktop
    • Now navigate to the AVG control panel
    • Select the Scheduler option and then "Scheduled Tasks"
    • Here you have to uncheck the checkboxes which you think are related to “Automatic Updates"
    • Make sure that you have restarted your system, after completing this.

I have also faced this particular issue after installing AVG antivirus in my system. I have come across the fact that, the problem of AVG taking long time to scan the system and update the AVG is caused because of the new update file. The new update file seems to be having some kind of bug while is causing all this issues. So what I can suggest to you is either wait for AVG to fix this problem in their new update file for AVG antivirus or you can uninstall the AVG from your system and install some other antivirus like AVAST, as it is one of the best available free Antivirus in the market at present

I have come across the following few steps which could solve your problem. Just follow the below few steps:
    • Start AVG antivirus
    • Go to tools > advanced settings > schedules
    • Now uncheck the 'enable this task' option which you can find in the scheduled scan, virus database update schedule, and program update schedule.
    • Finally uncheck the checkboxes in advanced schedule options and other update settings.
    • click on Apply and then on Ok button.
    • Restart your system.