Thread: What help with SELinux

What help with SELinux

I want some information on working with SELinux. What is this terminology and how does this work. I can across this and I am getting quiet confused with the same. I found this an kind of a security mechanism for Linux based system to protect them from various attacks. How does this works and does I will need to find any kind of update for the same. If yes then from where I can get it. How to enable or disable the same. Thanks.

Re: What help with SELinux

SELinux is a security model that can be added to the standard Linux system to increase security against various attacks suffered by the system. With SELinux, you can configure access restrictions for each process to a minimum. This helps make inoperable certain faults, and in case of piracy, to limit the extent of damage. SELinux is sometimes perceived as a security system and complex. It is designed to offers a great model to strengthen the traditional rights of Linux.

A better start for your is to understand SELinux installation and play with rights it offered. SELinux is present in the core of most distributions and you just have to install the packages offering the security policies. Sometimes SELinux is activated upon installation. Note that SELinux does not use openSuSE but another system with a security model very similar called as AppArmor. OpenSuSE also propose SELinux from version 11.1.

I will here recommend you to first understand the standard security model of Unix and also what are the limitations of the same. On an Linux based system the files have an owner, group, and a bit string to see who can do what. When a process wants to perform an action on a file, the kernel checks that the process has the necessary rights. This security system has been designed to protect each user from other users, and it achieves this task perfectly, but it does not protect programs misuse.

Security problems are now mainly of faults in applications, and it became necessary to protect applications at the system level of operation of the It uses a highly flexible security system. For an each and every system call the kernel checks that the process can execute the call to be handled according to their security environment. To identify subject and object, it adds to these three things, they are identity, role and type. These are accessible via the-Z option that can be added to many controls.

SELinux system is available in recent Linux distributions to define a security policy for access very thin compared to the operating system. The first is to edit the file / etc / selinux / config and replace the line selinux = enforcing by: SELINUX=disabled. Or you can use - # /usr/sbin/setenforce 0 this command in the terminal for faster work. The reason for using SELinux is to limit the access that applications to other applications and files, preventing a process can modify any file on the user that it launched.