Thread: AVG Free 2011 showing the "VDB Check Has Failed" error

AVG Free 2011 showing the "VDB Check Has Failed" error

I had bought my pc few months back and I had installed Windows XP in it. But, after some days I found many viruses in my pc and it had also hampered the speed of my pc. As I was badly in need of an antivirus, I installed AVG Free 2011, as my friend suggested it was good. Since then it was working properly. Recently, when I used my pc I was not able to scan with AVG, as it showed "VDB Check Has Failed" error. I tried downloading many updates from the internet but it didn’t do any good. As I am not much into softwares, so I don’t really know how to deal with this problem. Please suggest me any solution appropriate to my situation.

Re: AVG Free 2011 showing the "VDB Check Has Failed" error

I have been using the same version of AVG, and had the same problem. So, I asked for help from the AVG website. They suggested many ways of dealing with the problem. They also suggested to take the latest updates from the site to see if it helps. But nothing worked for me. Lastly, they said there must be some hardware problem in my pc and insisted on changing the RAM. They told that you may not find any technical problem with the RAM or with the AVG installation, but sometimes together they may cause some problems. So, I tried my last hope, and changed my previous RAM with a new one. Since, I installed a new RAM, I have not been facing the “VDB Check Has Failed” error and my AVG antivirus works properly. So, I suggest you to do the same because it worked for me.

I am also using AVG Free 2011 antivirus. Recently, I had received an alert from AVG for a critical program update for AVG 2011. After updating, it showed me the “VDB Check Has Failed” error. When I checked for solutions from the internet, it told me there must be some hardware or memory problems. Then, I checked the destination location of my AVG and found that it was in F: Drive instead of C: Drive. And, this problem was certainly due to the update. So, I downloaded the AVG remover software from the AVG website and uninstalled my AVG. Then, I reinstalled the AVG in the C: Drive. Now, I don’t receive that error and my AVG is working perfectly fine.

I had followed the above method, but it didn’t work for me. My AVG Free 2011 antivirus is installed in C: Drive only, but it still shows the same “VDB Check Has Failed” error. I guess it is because of the updates I made recently for my AVG. I tried to find solutions from the web but couldn’t find any. While I was searching for the solutions, I found a software named, “AVG pc tuneup 2011”. I installed and ran it in my pc. Then, I rebooted my pc. Now, my AVG works without any errors and ye I don’t receive the “VDB Check Has Failed” error anymore.

I just upgraded to the new free edition and am getting the same error. I cannot fix it either. AVG Anti-Virus FREE 2012 Please AVG help.
    Last edited by AnnieDingle; 22-09-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieDingle View Post
    I just upgraded to the new free edition and am getting the same error. I cannot fix it either. AVG Anti-Virus FREE 2012 Please AVG help.
    If you are getting the same error message with your AVG antivirus, then you need to first of all do a complete reinstallation of the AVG antivirus. And even after doing the reinstallation, if it still doesnt work then it could be possible that either your hard drive or memory would be producing some error, so you will have to do a hard drive diagnostic or a memory test to see what is the cause of this error.