Thread: How to disable automatic daily update in AVG

How to disable automatic daily update in AVG

Hi, I am a newbie. I am running Windows XP Operating system in my Acer laptop. My friend recommended me to use AVG antivirus to keep my system protected. So I recently downloaded AVG 2011 from Internet and installed it in my system. This AVG seems to be performing automatic update every now and then, which is very irritating at this moment. So I wanted to know whether it was possible for me to disable automatic update in AVG antivirus. Your suggestions will be appreciated like always.

Re: How to disable automatic daily update in AVG

If you ask for suggestion from me, I would recommend you to keep the automatic update option ON for your AVG antivirus. This will assure that your antivirus is always kept updated if your system is connected to the Internet. Keeping antivirus updated will assure that your system is kept protected from any new treat from virus or any other malicious germs. An updated Antivirus will keep your system data protected from getting corrupted or any type of data loss.

Thank you for the concern. I am very well aware of the positive sides of keeping AVG automatic update ON and the plus points of keeping AVG antivirus updated. But I am planning to disable automatic update in AVG because with that automatic update ON, the AVG is updating anytime, thus prompting the system to restart the system to complete the update. And top of that this makes AVG to recreate an AVG shortcut icon on desktop. I am fed up of deleting the shortcut every now and then. So disabling the Automatic update seems to be only solution for me at this moment. So please someone suggest me the way to disable Automatic update of AVG.

You can disable the automatic update option of AVG by following the below few steps:
    • Double click on AVG icon to start AVG antivirus
    • Click on AVG control panel
    • Go to Scheduler
    • Click on "Scheduled Tasks"
    • Uncheck the checkboxes which are near the “Automatic Updates"

I am also facing the same issue and this is what I did after starting my AVG and experienced the following things with my AVG. please help me with the same issue.
    1. First I went to advance settings
    2. Under both program and virus database updates, I was unable to change the settings.
    3. The "Run at Specific Interval" checkbox is already checked and I am unable to change it.
    4. I can see only one option of “everyday” in the drop box. And above that I can’t even select other options.
    5. I can select only time of update or else the AVG will automatically update.
    6. The above option "run every" is grey shaded and I can't select anything from it.

I have came across a solution on this Techarena forum, which clearly shows the different ways of disabling the automatic update option in your AVG antivirus. So I would suggest you to visit that thread and follow the steps, as they are mentioned in the post. Make sure you don’t miss any of the given point. Click on Disable Automatic Update in AVG antivirus to visit the thread and complete the steps as they are mentioned. I am sure this will surely help you diable the automatic update option in your AVG antivirus.