Thread: Netbackup vs puredisk

Netbackup vs puredisk

For small or large environments, netbackup does not integrate de duplication. Thus for huge environments Symantec recommends you to leave using pure disk and use only netbackup for de duplication. Also I need to know de duplication limitation. Is there anything on puredisk about size limitation sheets? Please need suggestions on this criterion as soon as possible.

Re: Netbackup vs puredisk

NetBackup PureDisk is more expensive to set up. Both require a license from front-end for storage dedupe Pool TB, but NetBackup is necessary to pay for the Enterprise Server license unless you have a server in the media that can handle the extra load. Based on the design, what are the sites that the backup? If you are going to have a central pool and if they do Dedupe remote sites have a bond large enough to support it. The initial term is quite large. Do you think the remote media servers and the use of AIR in NBU 7.1? Pure disk and can replicate data between sites and deduplication and NetBackup pool is 32TB per node. PureDisk is 16 TB per node. These are expandable.

Not a fine idea to have your server with a deduplication storage pool unless your environment is very small. Symantec recommends 1 GB of RAM per TB of storage space dedupe plus you still need memory for regular operation. Not sure if you go Windows or UNIX, but I want at least 4-8GB of RAM just for the master server for normal operations. PureDisk Server is in fact free; simply add the final TB Front licenses depending on the size of your environment.

NetBackup is also far free. Licenses are required for the server itself, PureDisk add the license, the license front end TB of storage and lifecycle policies. SLP is needed to move data from disk to tape Dedupe. A standard NetBackup Server license does not allow a media server to connect to it from memory, I remain unaccompanied. This has nothing to do with the record of representation at all.

My point is that you will need a server anyway, so I did not see the relevance of adding this to the point of discussion. If you're going to need a server, in terms, like HBA. Well, that's debatable and depends on the size of the environment which is being supported. Most of our servers are Dell MD1000 with a tray (or MD1200) with SATA disks and backup 10 to 30 officers in a single SPA.

Well, the drive only supports PureDisk but is inside, NetApp NFS or FC diskette but no iSCSI. Even with FC disks, Symantec needs you for its HCL Storage Foundation, which is really worst! Really I would only prefer to cover the medium and hard and never high-end today with the new models. So having an opportunity to support and make a better effort in supporting you.