Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 28-05-2011

Disk Read Error After AVG 2011 Free Update

I operate home computer remotely and following upgrading that?s AVG Free version toward AVG 2011 Free, the computer locks up right following POST by means of the error message "A Disk Read Error happened. Restart". I restarted but start again with the same error. Before the update there was nothing. I don?t think that anybody else gone through this incident before. It really hard to say that a software upgrade cause this issue. The upgrade itself appeared to go perfectly, and demanded the restart for close, and this is while the trouble started. I am running Windows XP home edition.
Old 28-05-2011

Re: Disk Read Error After AVG 2011 Free Update

If you think that an AVG section is avoiding your PC from booting correctly, go after the steps below to make sure the circumstances.
  • Make use of AVG Rescue CD to boot your PC.
  • While the AVG Rescue CD is released, choose the Utilities -> File Manager menu thing.
  • Go to the drive. That will be /mnt/sda1/ mostly
  • Inside this drive, go toward the /Windows/system32/drivers/ directory.
  • Rename each and every one files starting by avg to back them up. You can modify their extension from .sys toward .bak, for instance.
  • Now reboot the system and it might be fixed now.
Old 28-05-2011

Okay, the problem is certainly AVG. Had precisely the similar trouble here. Following a couple times receiving the "Read error" display, I did a total breakdown of my HDD by the use of its maker's tools, and it didn't go back some error. Past this, Windows 7 (x64) was capable to boot up correctly, except was still extremely broken up. I observed that the HDD activity LED on my PC case was enduringly lit, whilst that usually it barely blinks similar to double a second. I tried by the help of dissimilar task managers, except not any of them were showing whichever type of important HDD activity.
Old 28-05-2011

I began closing several of the programs which I identified can cause problems underneath definite conditions, and afterward it was AVG's turn. I turned it off by the use of Tools > Advanced Settings > Temporarily disable AVG protection. And afterward the system unfroze, the HDD activity LED began blinking over again (rather than being eternally lit), and the whole thing was now operational correctly. By the way, I am utilizing AVG Internet Security 2011. This indicates that the problem is there on each and every one editions of AVG 2011.
Old 28-05-2011

AVG is precisely the similar program together for Free as well as Paid users. The simply thing is that if you encompass a paid license key, you obtain a pair more modules, based on the version you purchased. From the time when this problem occurred to a free user, I can securely terminate that the trouble does not create from whichever of the "Paid" features, other than almost certainly rather from the program core itself.
Old 31-05-2011

It seems to me that the AVG upgrade might have cause the Disk boot sector or something related to be modified without the user concern. Otherwise it may be also possible that the updated AVG might have modified some infected registry entries which might have cause the system to show disk boot error. To resolve this issue uninstall the AVG. i hope that you already have the setup file. Now reboot the system and restore the system to previous point if you have created one. Now install the AVG and check whether there is disk read error or not. If not, then go for update.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,