Thread: Force inventory update while clients changes IP address

Force inventory update while clients changes IP address

Our company just shifted to from Landesk 8 to Altiris Client Management Suite. We staggered in to this situation: While the clients are attached by VPN it's not possible to manage or remote control the clients. We think that it's the result of an out of date inventory (old IP address). Does anyone known’s a clarification for this trouble? Can we force an inventory update while the clients alter IP address? Anyone have any idea on this?

Re: Force inventory update while clients changes IP address

Here I just wish to add something which may be helpful for you. How much I know or how much I have idea on this, the server doesn't know while the client switches IP's, as you have determined. It relies on the client to inform it that. You can alter the basic inventory frequency to in excess of the default one time a day. Basic inventory is as well sent while the Symantec agent\service restarts.

The actual trouble is that's it is not possible to manage or remote control the client. Our ISA server is as well our VPN gateway. The ISA server performs as a separate DHCP server outside our network. The VPN client will not be recorded in DNS. In that way (we think) the Altiris server cannot discover the clients that are attached through VPN. We outlined, as a work around, to let the VPN clients commence an inventory update.

I guess the point is more allied to the DNS than to the IP address. I just utilize Altiris for inventory (not for remote control) but generally, while you attempt to attach to a machine (for instance for deploying an inventory policy), you state the name of the machine. I think that Altiris attempts to decide the name of the machine and after that, it deploys the policy to that machine. If it isn't able to determine the name (although in the inventory there is an IP address) I acquire an error.

What it looks to be clear is that is not a trouble of your clients altering their IP address. Towards the end, you can distantly control them by utilizing the IP address (no matter if it is the similar as the inventoried, or if it is a novel one). These points to the way of name resolution. But I guess that a few mechanisms have to be in place one time the machine connects to your domain/s via the VPN.

If I was going to undertake this trouble in my surroundings, I would possibly have a script that executes on a usual schedule on the client. I would have it log the IP address somewhere, and then ensure that the address (es) in exercise was changed from the previous ones. If so, the script would set off the Agent object and SendBasicInventory (presumptuous the NS was reachable that is, or if one of the IP addresses was within the VPN subnet you have distinct). The below VBScript will send vital inventory:
    Code:
    Dim oAltiris
         Set oAltiris = CreateObject("Altiris.AeXNSClient")
         oAltiris.SendBasicInventory True, True
         oAltiris.UpdatePolicies True
         Set oAltiris = Nothing