Thread: Basics to Mac management with SMP 7.1

Basics to Mac management with SMP 7.1

Now that our company is typically running on SMP 7.1 with CMS and agents are rolled out to the majority of our Macs, I would like to start taking benefit of utilizing Altiris for easy things for example running scripts, copying files, and so on, earlier than going to the full board into software deployment. One trouble: my knowledge of Macs is harshly limited and there doesn't look to be an entire lot of documentation out there for it. Can anybody with any Mac experience chime in on this? I would like to lastly place a bullet in Apple Remote Desktop's head so I can utilize a single tool to manage my whole environment.

Re: Basics to Mac management with SMP 7.1

The Copy File task doesn't want to work. I have specified the UNC path of the file, the examination account credentials to the file and the target /etc/hosts.tmp but the task be unsuccessful each time I attempt to run it (Execution result -2111635346, unsuccessful to discover the task handler) The Mac is limited to the NS which is our just task server, and I can run an easy run Unix script task of "ls" so I know that part is functioning.

The Copy File task is a Deployment Solution mission and at present there are no DS task handlers for the Mac (that is why you obtain that unsuccessful to discover the task handler error). If you wish to copy a file then you will have to write the script to accumulate the Windows share, copy the file, unmount, and so on, and after that place that into a Run Script task. As it seems like you have previously done this, feel free to post or PM me the script and I will take a look at it.

The script is intended so the user can at a standstill have custom host’s entries and not misplaces them while we regularly update quite a lot of hosts’ entries on the machines. The regularly updated entries sit under a line in the hosts file which says: Put in custom hosts entries over this line or they may be lost. This script should accomplish the following:
    1. Accumulate a Windows share utilizing presented credentials
    2. Take away the hosts.tmp and hosts.bak file
    3. Generate a copy of the present hosts file as hosts.bak
    4. Read in the filling of hosts to hosts.tmp until it meets a line starting with "### Insert"
    5. Read in the contents of a dissimilar hosts file into the remnants of hosts.tmp
    6. Take away the hosts file
    7. Copy the hosts.tmp file to hosts
    8. Take away the hosts.tmp file
    9. Unmount the Windows share

Few things to note:
    1. The username/password combo is case-sensitive. I initially had guest in there and had to alter that to 'Guest' to obtain it to work. So, make certain your username is accurately how you have it shaped in Windows.
    2. The share I utilized didn't have a $ on it - it was only a word.

On an unconnected note, I added '-r' to the accumulate statement to identify "read-only", only for defensive reasons. The means I was able to troubleshoot this, was to facilitate verbose logging on the Mac and utilize the Console app to discover what was going incorrect.